- advertisement -

Telling Friends

Discussion in 'Teens' started by Type1Personality, May 31, 2012.

1. Type1Personality

Type1Personality Approved members

I was just diagnosed six weeks ago, and I'm still trying to adapt to my new life. One problem I've had, though, is that even though my friends know I have diabetes, none of them know how to check my bg or give glucagon. I don't know how to broach the topic without feeling awkward. Has anyone out there in the D.O.C had the same experience? How did you deal with it?

2. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

The most important thing for them to know is to recognize a low, not to give glucagon or check blood sugar. Although I thought glucagon training was really important when I was newly dx'd, I've found that it's not. You should glucagon train your friends if you are sleeping over at their houses or going camping with them or maybe if you're hiking, somewhere an ambulance would take a while to get to.

They NEED to know the really really basics: that if you pass out or seize or get really weird, it's a low blood sugar, not a high blood sugar. To never ever give insulin if you pass out. That it IS an emergency if you pass out (even if you guys were drinking or whatever) and to call 911. Maybe, if you want them mother henning you, that you should be carrying food, always.

I did check my best friend's blood sugar and showed him the glucagon after I was diagnosed, more to show him what I was doing than anything else.

As to your question, how to bring it up- do your shots and check your blood sugar in front of them, comment on how you feel when you're low- and they'll ask questions when they're ready to have that kind of conversation.

3. JacobB

JacobB New Member

yeah

so wen i met my friend Donoven he didn't know anything about diabetes what it was or about. wen i told him what it was he just stood there and stared at me now i check in front of him all the time and tell him if i fell low or if i need to put insulin in he now knows if im low or high:D