- advertisement -

Tell me what I should do?

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by momtonicole, Oct 28, 2010.

1. momtonicole

momtonicole New Member

My daughter is a freshman in high school. She is a pumper (for 8 yrs,) been on a 504 plan for 9 yrs. We had a 504 meeting yesterday with her teachers to review her plan. She has a 4.0 gp, in advanced classes and does excellent with selfcare. She is like any other type 1, she has her days when her bg is a roller coaster. Ok, here's the problem....one teacher will not give her any of the class work she misses due to being absent. He says it's all notes and she needs to get someone to take them for her. That's ok but, he also suggested that next year she take easier classes, no AP classes because she has diabetes and won't be able to keep up!!!! Then he suggest when she graduates high school she needs to take online courses!!!! What should I do? She took a test in his class, left 4 questions blank...which isn't like her at all, her bg was 445!!! He won't let her retake the test!!!! I know I need to be calm, but this just isn't right!!! Any suggestions? TIA

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I can't give you much 504 help because I'm not in the US. Obviously, she should be able to catch up on missed work from absences. However, you don't say how much time she is absent for... I have T1, and I've only missed one day of school (except the hospitalisation at diagnosis) because I had a stomach virus and ketones. If she's missing school every week, I can see that would make it hard for the teacher to go over all missed work with her.

I'd make sure it's written in her 504 plan that if she's above or below a certain BG level when she checks prior to taking the test, she should not take the test until her BG is within an acceptable range.

3. momtonicole

momtonicole New Member

She's missed a total of 4 days, (only part of the day) due to high bg with ketones. We have it stated in her 504 that the teachers must allow make up exams and review instructional time with her. Unfortunately, the teacher we're having problems with is her last class of the day and that is when she has had high bg.

4. wilf

wilf Approved members

This is nonsense.

I'd give one more try at educating the teacher (civilly), and then I'd file a complaint with the admin about the teacher. The attitude is so condescendingly stupidly misinformed that it needs to be challenged.

5. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

If she's absent because of Diabetes, its not up to that teacher, he has to follow the 504 like everyone else.

6. joan

joan Approved members

That teachers comments are inappropriate and show his ignorance with d. To me they border on discriminatory. He needs someone to instruct him that d does not stop anyone from succeeding. There are many type 1's in the best colleges. I would talk to the principle about his comments and the fact that her 504 is not being followed. Can the school nurse give him some information on type 1?

7. emm142

emm142 Approved members

That doesn't sound excessive. You definitely have some educating to do as far as the teacher is concerned.. Have you contacted someone higher up in the school about the fact that her 504 plan is not being adhered to?

8. momtonicole

momtonicole New Member

I've given all of the teachers her dr's order, plan to follow, talked to each of them....just this one teacher is giving her trouble. I think he does not want to do the extra work with catching her up. As we were walking out of the meeting he said "it's such a shame for her....maybe she'll grow out of it." I've given them 18 papers on the definition of type 1, along with detailed instructions for her proper care. Each classroom has totes with snacks and supplies so she won't have to leave the room for d realated issues. Oh, he did say "I bought her sugar free candy so she won't feel left out when I give the other kids candy"!!!!! Grrrrr.....!!!!

9. Bigbluefrog

Bigbluefrog Approved members

MAybe she will outgrow it? I would look him in the eyes and state obviously you have not read the documents concerning type one diabetes.

I would ask for a meeting with him, and if he still is being difficult go to the person above him.

Keep doing this till it is sorted out.

10. jules12

jules12 Approved members

Is there someone else who teaches the advanced class he does? If so, I would have her transferred out. He is unreasonable and his comments are out of line.

11. Lee

Lee Approved members

I would try and talk to him and then I think it is time to get the principal involved.

12. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Does the 504 contain specific statements regarding work or class missed due to diabetes? You can add that makeup work will be provided by each teacher (using whatever wording you want).

You can also specify that testing is not to take place unless the student's BG is within a certain range, and that the student will be given the opportunity to make up a test that was administered while the BG was out of range. (This of course requires testing and probably verifying that the BG was out of range.)

Whatever is stated in your 504 MUST be followed by all parties.

You should not sign off on a 504 until you are satisfied with everything in it. If needed, you can request a review AT ANY TIME. You do not need to wait until the annual review, and school personnel cannot refuse a review of the 504.

If a teacher refuses to comply with the terms of the 504, his/her action is discriminatory.

13. Mom2dirty

Mom2dirty Approved members

WOW! His comments are out of line and hurtful! A complaint sounds reasonable if he won't listen / read what you have provided. Maybe a meeting with him and his supervisor is in order.

Mom to Dirty (13)
    Dxd 8/7/09
    MM pump

14. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

This stuff is in her 504 right? Have you talked with the principal? I'm assuming you have already had a "Chat" with the teacher, or is this just what he's telling your daughter? I would NOT be happy:mad:

He is violating her rights and if the school wont back you you can always go tot the ADA.

15. CeeJay

CeeJay Approved members

My DS is a junior in almost all AP classes and is ranked in the top 5% of his class out of 450 kids--we have a 504 in place. If I were in your shoes, I would respectfully request a meeting with this teacher and an administrator. I would mention the specific comments he made and request that unless he is willing to educate himself on all the facts of T1D, that he refrain from making any further uneducated and inapproriate comments on the subject with your daughter. (Maybe have the myths/facts page from jdrf handy) All he needs to know is that she is allowed to access her accomodations as needed and that LEGALLY, he must comply. Definitely use the "L" word!

Good luck, sorry you have to deal with this--