- advertisement -

Tell me something funny.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by denise3099, Oct 2, 2012.

1. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

We've got some new folk on who need to know that there is life after dx. So tell us some D humor. I'll go first with a small one.

Talking to the school guidance counselor regarding the 504. She deosn't want dd to test in the class b/c apparently there are children who will pass out cold at the sight of blood. (How they get through childhood is beyond me!) My response: Well if they are that affected that it will interfere with their education then maybe they need a 504. Any kid who will be so affected by a paper cut clear across the room should have a doctor's note for accomadations b/c my dd does have a doctor's note for her accomadations.

That was the end of the squeemish child excuse. :D

So tell me a funny D story. :cwds:

2. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Remotely D-related....

My son got a calculator at school as a reward for good behaviour, so today he insisted on "communicating" his BGLs with me via the calculator. He found that totally awesome. Me, not so much.;)

3. denise3099

Ever call your kid's kit a D-bag? :D

4. roo'smom

roo'smom Approved members

I can think of two...
    When she first started pre-school I trained her teacher to work her pump and help her test her bg (as a side note, her preschool was AWESOME in dealing with diabetes), and gave her a crash course on diabetes basics - how to treat a low, etc. After a few weeks of school the rest of the kids were going up to the teacher, telling her that they felt "low" and needed a juice too:p

Riley had a loose tooth. I was giving her a juice box in the middle of the night, and she's sucking it down while still asleep, when all of the sudden she sits bolt upright in bed and starts crying. I have no idea what is going on until she sobs out that her tooth came out and she swallowed it while drinking the juice. She was worried that the tooth fairy wouldn't come without the tooth:rolleyes:

5. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

My friend, who just had a baby, posted that her pump was broken. I immediately thought of what a frustrating situation, potentially expensive or troublesome situations, etc. Then I remembered that she's not diabetic, and just had a baby. :rolleyes:

6. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

In NZ we work in metrics.. I had been at a BOT meeting and came home to Rachel (6) telling me excitedly that she was 25 (450!) !!
    I glared at the rest of the family and asked if they had fixed that number... while everyone looked at me blankly, Rachel told me (again) that she now weighed 25 kgs... :rolleyes:

7. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Let me preface this by saying my 11 year old daughter is giving me these ideas:D

We found a test strip stuck to the cats tail.

People drive around with car stickers with the initials of places they like to go. One that always makes us chuckle. Mt. Desert Island. MDI.

Neal Patrick Harris's initials are NPH.

Oh and it's ok for them to give you the finger...only for BG test though:D

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  8. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

When the person that normally checked my son's fingers when he was first diagnosed in kindergarten was out, he went to the office to have someone help him (that's where he always goes for checks). As six different people took their turn in trying operate the blood glucose meter, searching on google for how to operate the thing, trying to figure out the error codes on the meter and calling people they knew that used meters, I walked in (because I knew the person was going to be out). I watched for a minute, as my son so patiently stood watching all of this while holding out his fingers. Finally, he said, "Do you all want me to show you how to do this?" All six adults took their seats in a row and very attentively watched every thing he was doing. He walked them through every step (complete with explanations) and then said "128" followed by "High 5" and slapped everyone's hand. Then everyone applauded. This really made me laugh because it was VERY soon after diagnosis and I was so proud and relieved that he really was going to be just fine.

9. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

Embarassing, but funny

I make my 5 year olds lunch every day in his batman lunchbox with index card that has the carb counts of all of the foods.

One day a few weeks ago, I couldn't find his lunchbox (he left it at school), so being the ever diligent mom, I gave up my own lunchbox so he could use it for the day. ( I am a teacher by trade - so this will make sense soon).

At the lunch table the teachers saw my son chewing on something with paper. When they went over, he had a tampon out of the side pocket of my lunch box and was chewing on it! The teachers had a big laugh out of it and had to tell me the next time they saw me. Of course, like I said, I am a teacher too - so there is NEVER time to go to the bathroom except during lunch.

They had a good laugh at my expense! No carb counts for tampons!

10. Traci

Traci Approved members

Our school raised money for JDRF. At the big donation presentation, the principal called ds up onto the stage to "show off" his pump. Normally, ds would proudly show his cool blue Cozmo pump and Spongebob case. However, we had recently switched to Omnipod and ds was wearing his "pump" on his upper buttocks. The principal kept asking him to show his pump and ds kept refusing! SO glad he had the self control to NOT moon the entire school and blame it all on the principal! The principal was so embarrassed when I explained ds's excuse.:D

11. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I've got a bunch=)

First time my mom went away after dx (for 2 weeks=O) we were at church and my dad asked (from across the hallway) Jess were you high again this morning? I nearly died when the assistant pastor turned around and was like "What?"

My younger sister saw me reading the T-slim brochure and told me I was cheating on my pump;-) she was like 'what is his name?' 'steve' 'you're cheating on melmin!' 'Kate, melmin will always be in my heart...' 'yeah but steve will be in your pocket!'

first time I went low (at 3am) my dad was still half asleep and started to leave my room to get me juice, but he didn't see the cork board I had across the doorway to keep the dog out and ran right into it.... then chucked it across the hall and broke it in half=O you might say he had been a bit stress (it was two days after we got home)

Once my dad came and checked me at 2am and he thought I was awake but I was just sleep testing... when he left the room he said he'f be back in a few hours and I yelled "I'm locking my door!" luckily my door doesn't have a lock.... I still don't remember it!

My mom asks me every night "So whats your plan?" one time I told her that I planned to finish high school and go to college for nursing... then find prince charming and settle down;-)

one of the few times lows have messed with my brain (and I lost time) I stole my younger sisters cell phone and told a boy who was dating our friend that I was going to find him and string him up by his toes...

when I was in the hospital for dx a nurse came in all cheery and said "You can do anything even with diabetes... except fly a commercial plane and serve in the army." I looked at her deadpan and said "You just crushed my dreams." (she didn't) I think she almost cried!

When they were teaching my parents how to use the glucagon (As I just watched sort of creeped out) my dad was playing with the one they had shown them (it didn't have a needle) and he pretended to stab my mom in the leg. He scared her so bad she was across the room in like a second and wouldn't come back for a minute!

My friends find test strips (used) at their house and save them for weeks so they can give them back when I come over again.

A little boy I babysat saw my pump and asked what it was... I told him it was a battery pack and that I was really a robot... he believed me!

I finally got sick of people asking me if I could eat stuff and just said "nope" and kept on eating, the poor girl thought I was going to die! (but hey, she also thought that diabetes was a problem with your heart....)

ANd the best one ever....

I was at church, and a big joke with my friends is that people ask if I can eat things 'in my condition' like I'm pregnant or something... so one time a man I barley know came into the church kitchen and was like ' young lady I don't think that's on your diet!' and my friend stood up and yelled 'THE BABY IS FINE OKAY?' we nearly died and he hasn't spoken to me since!

12. T-bird

T-bird Approved members

Once my friend and I were babysitting her little sister. She's 5. During these 2 or 3 hours I tested twice. The first time she was absolutely mesmerized and thought it was awesome. The second time it took a couple times to get blood so she started yelling "Where's the blood?!? Where's the blood?!?"
    She cracks me up :D

Also can this become a sticky? These stories are hilarious!

13. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

THAT is hysterical!!:p:p:D:D

As for us...for the newbies, I should preface my story by telling you that experiments have been done in which Type 1 diabetes is cured...in mice.:rolleyes: So, I've joked in the past about all the cured mice that are running around. A couple of years ago, we were at our local pool, and my then 6 year old son and I saw a little mouse go running around the edge of the pool and back into a wooded area. In all seriousness, my son excitedly asked if that was one of the mice that has been cured of Type 1 diabetes.:D

14. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

My neighbor has diabetes also. Her pump is black. My daughter has a pink one. She looks at my daughter and said in her little 3 year old voice "wow, your's is much more "parkley" than mommy's!"

15. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

My daughter needed carbs in the night, so I shook her enough to rouse her enough to drink (no straw included). She very obliging lifted her stuffed squirrel by its tail to her open mouth.:D

A fun for her was winning the Big Words Contest at (non-D) camp. With a working vocabulary that includes pediatric endocrinologist & diabetic keto-acidosis she was at a definite advantage!

The stuffed animals that have joined Rufus & Pumpernickel in the years since diagnosis: Cairns (a polar bear - after Diabetes Polar Flight), Langerhans,....

16. Meredithsmom

Meredithsmom Approved members

Shortly after diagnosis, we were out to eat at a fast food place with a playland. After dd ate, my husband drew up her insulin and asked her where she wanted her shot. We let her pick the spot. She stood up on the table, with her back to her dad and announced in the loudest voice she had, "Give it to me in the butt, daddy, just like bedtime last night." We got lots of looks and were completely horrified. I said just as loud, "You mean your insulin injection, right?" The fact that family services never visited us is a small miracle.

17. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

That is funny! How was she at the time - 2 or 3?

18. denise3099

These are so great! See folks, there is life after dx. You will smile and laugh and even joke about what seems now to be the worst moments of your life. Soon you will find that you are answering other ppl's questions on this very board. :)

19. Mary Lou

Mary Lou Approved members

This is not my story, and I cannot remember who shared it with me (was it here?), but it always makes me giggle...

Mom was making lasagna and asked her type 1 kid to but basil on it.
    Child obliged by unhooking and sprinkling insulin :D:D

20. denise3099

I've told this one before about when dh woke up early for work and told me he checked dd and it was 515. So I get up panicked and do a site change and test and it's like 200. So I say why'd you say it was 515 and he said I didn't and I said yes you did, you said you checked her and it was 515, and he said. . . "I meant the time!"

If I didn't shoot him then it was only b/c I was so tired. ;)