- advertisement -

tell me all you know about lantus.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by madde, May 29, 2008.

1. madde

madde Approved members

I am seriously considering switching to Lanutus/Humalog, but have some questions about it.

1. How many carbs can you eat that are free or does this fall under YDMV?
    2. Do you decrease lantus during days of more activity? Or do you add extra snacks to prevent low bs.
    3. Does your school allow you child to carry insulin pen with them? Or do you have extra pens for home/daycare, etc?
    4. Is snacking required on Lantus, without any extra insulin? I've read there is a mild peak, does this peak usually require a timed snack?
    5. Why do some give lantus at bedtime and others in the morning?
    6. What is the purpose of splitting the dosages?

I appreciate any feedback from my questions, or if you have some other input please let me know.

Thanks!

2. Eminemsmom

Eminemsmom Approved members

Hope this helps. I can't compare to any other methods as we have been on Lantus since dx

3. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

YDMV. For us it was pretty much none due to the way the basal was adjusted.

2. Do you decrease lantus during days of more activity? Or do you add extra snacks to prevent low bs.

More snacks.

3. Does your school allow you child to carry insulin pen with them? Or do you have extra pens for home/daycare, etc?

N/A

4. Is snacking required on Lantus, without any extra insulin? I've read there is a mild peak, does this peak usually require a timed snack?

There was no peak for us. Alex rarely snacked, unless low.

Convenience. At morning the kid's in bed and it's easy to give a shot, even when he's asleep. At night, we might be out to dinner somewhere or at a friend's house. He then has to pull his pants down (works best in the buttcheek). Nighttime is more chaotic for us.

If you notice a peak, two doses can even it out.

4. Lee

Lee Approved members

OK - here goes!

First - Lantus is the Basal - so, if the Lantus dosage is set right - the kid never has to eat - the goalis to keep the kid even all day. Then the humalog would come in for meals!

5. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

Ok my answers:

YDMV - we could initially do about 30 grams in the morning and less in the afternoon.

We did a little of both - if I knew it was an all day activity (like going to the beach all day or playing with friends ALL day) then I'd decrease lantus a bit the night before AND prepare for grazing all day.

We left syringes and novolog in the school office sicne Ian was too young to give himself shots anyway.

Peak isn't really the right word. Lantus tends to ramp up during the first 6 hours or so. it's not a peak like you'd think about with NPH. We never had to account for that at all, other than at dinner when yesterday's lantus was wearing off, we'd have to give a bit more novolog to cover the time from dinner to when tonight's novolog would kick in.

because lantus doesn't really last 24 hours in most kids, especially at lower doses, so you can decide when you want that tapering off to happen.

for teh same reason as #5 - because it doesn't last 24 hours you can split it and get better 24 hour coverage.

Hope that helps!!

6. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

You should also invest in "Using Insulin" by John Walsh. It is a gives a great prep course on the Lantus regimen. :)

7. alismom

alismom Approved members

Ditto to all of Becky's responses.

8. Donna C

Donna C Approved members

I tend to go along with both Lee's and FrizzyRazzy's responses. We are a good bit newer to the D life. We have always been on Lantus at night (is nice to sleep in on Saturdays . . . and gives me personally peace of mind while she's sleeping). Our daughter is 12 1/2, so she takes 19 units nightly. She carries her Novolog pen with her to school, classes, and everywhere she goes. YDMV is the best answer. Our daughter can generally handle 15 carb snacks uncovered (IF active) or "free" protein snacks. We recently were told by our endo to cut down the Lantus dosage if we plan to spend the next day at the lake (swim, tubing), walking more than usual (amusement park), or for when she will start school sports in August. So . . . we'll still have to see how it goes to cut back the Lantus in anticipation of activities. I really don't know, yet. I will say that I love both the Lantus and Novolog . . . even though we're still honeymooning. By the way, Lantus has not kept its effectiveness for a full month with us (in or out of fridge ... didn't matter). I give Lantus probably a maximum of 27 - 28 days. I don't know if others have experienced this?

9. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

YDMV - 15 grams in between meals for us

Yes, on soccer days and swim days, we decrease by 1 or 2 units.
    Lunchtime bolus of Humalog in school clinic

Peak at about 4 hours. The school nurse always knew to expect a drop around 10 or 11. So she always went to the clinic for a BG check around 10 or 10:30 and snacked if necessary.

We started with morning in the hospital. Works for us. If she rises during the night, we know that it is time to raise her basal (Lantus) dose by a 1/2 unit until it stabilizes again.

I don't really know. We never have split the dose.

Of course, YDMV
    [/QUOTE]

10. coni

coni Approved members

In addition to what others have said:
    -Some people experience a plateau. Our DD drops then plateaus about 6 hours after her injection. Consequently, we split her dose. The typical drop is between 5 - 10 hours after injection. I'm not sure how many experience the drop, but I think it's around 20%.
    -Lantus stings when in injected for some.

11. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

For us, this changed over time. When he was honeymooning more heavily, he could have up to 15g free at snack. By about 5 months post-diagnosis, it was more like 3-4. One thing you can do is figure the snack into the Humalog you give at the prior meal, but you have to make sure to remember to give them the snack!

We never decreased the Lantus because of activity. We'd just give extra snacks.

My son is only four years old, so can't help you there.

We never required a snack. With Lantus, the "correct" dose is the dose that keeps your child as flat as possible overnight. So, depending on your child's basal needs, I suppose a snack could be necessary during the day, but I think it's pretty rare. I do know that lots of people give a small uncovered snack at bedtime, but we only did if he was lower than my comfort range.

We gave it at night because otherwise it would have meant two shots at breakfast. (You can't mix Lantus and Humalog.) So we had 4 shots a day, spread out over breakfast, lunch, supper and bedtime. Some people see a peak with Lantus (we never did), so they give it during the day, since it's easier to deal with a peak at 2:00 p.m. as opposed to 2:00 a.m.!

I suppose there are a couple of reasons to split the dosage. For some, Lantus doesn't last the full 24 hours. (I suspect that it actually lasted longer than that for us.) So they split the dose to provide better "coverage." It's also a way to have a different basal dose during the day than at night, if your needs for day and night are radically different. It was never necessary for us.

Hope this helps! :) We were on NPH for two weeks, and then Lantus for 5 months. We LOVED Lantus, and had really good success with it.

12. hughsfan30

hughsfan30 Approved members

Personally I LOVE lantus!! Jacob was switched to this as soon as we started going to this new doctor. He was on NPH and the night time lows when it peaked were just wearing on all of us. Since he has been on this we have had no night time lows.woo hoo!!! As for how many carbs he can eat we just do the 10 to 1 with the humalog cause again we dont have to worry about that peak later and wonder if he will drop.
    Hope this helps :D

13. madde

madde Approved members

Thanks everyone for your input. It is really appreciated!:)