- advertisement -

Tell me about your One Touch Ping!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ashley_lynden, Aug 2, 2010.

1. ashley_lynden

ashley_lynden Approved members

Do you love/your child love it! Are there any major drawbacks for using it over another brand? What is better about it than other pumps?

Medtronic has ticked me off and I'm done with them. We haven't even hooked their pump up to Sloan yet and I'm sending it back! I'll got through all the paper work all over again not to have to deal with them ever again.

2. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

Love, love, love our Ping! DS has Aspberger's and some other issues, so the remote control is an absolute must. He doesn't really like me touching his pump yet wants me to do the bolusing.
    That is the most important part of the Ping for us. I just change the reservoir as needed but right now 200 units usually does last him 3 days. I'd rather change it more often and have that remote. :cool:

3. LittleGuy'sMom

LittleGuy'sMom Approved members

Yes, I love that it has a remote control and I never have to touch the pump to give ds a bolus! That's a huge plus for an active toddler. :D I can't compare it to any other pump but I think others have said there's more button-pushing with the Ping than with the Medtronic.

4. lisamustac

lisamustac Approved members

The ping is the only pump we have had so I can't compare it to another pump. That said we love our ping. The remote is a great feature for us. Another plus is animas has exceptional customer service in every area. I just called them for a loaner pump while we go on vacation and they are a pleasure to do business with. I can't think of one drawback. Good luck I am sure you will love it just as much as we do.

5. Brynn

Brynn Approved members

I love my Ping, I have been with three different companies and Animas is by far my favorite. The customer service is amazing, the product is great, I love the remote.

6. Omo2three

Omo2three Approved members

We love the the Ping. I think what sold Amb on it was that it was waterproof.

Also when at D camp the ping rep did an outstanding job showing her the pump and how it worked. She let her hold it and explained the features.

The Medtronic Pump rep, was doing her own thing. She didn't really go out of her way to show the features or specifics of their pump.

Honestly ~ what sold us on the pump was the good old fashioned customer care and attention.

We do change the insets every 2-3 days. I like the remote bolusing feature.
    So if she is wearing a dress and has her pump on her leg, she can bolus discretely.

7. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

Another Ping lover here! We have only been using it about a month now, but I love it's ease of use and especially the remote feature. Customer service was wonderful when we ordered it.

8. mrcool

mrcool Approved members

We love our Ping, too! The main reason we chose it is for the remote - we love it and use it all the time! It's an awesome thing for a smaller child. We only touch the pump to change the site or basals. Also love that it's waterproof, don't have to worry if the baby gets wet and can leave it on at the pool.

The 200 U cartridge doesn't bother us, it's probably more inconvenient for a teen. The customer service is great, we've had 2 loaner pumps (for vacation) so far - it gives great peace of mind. And Animas does it for free. Also, our remote broke once (our fault) and we had a new one by the next day noon.

I have also heard that on Medtronic you don't have to dial in the dose, but since Animas is all we've known, it doesn't bother us. I rarely bolus more than 1 U at a time anyway.

The only big advantage I see for Medtronic is that they have an integrated CGMS.

9. nataliemca

nataliemca Approved members

One Touch Ping is a lifesaver!!!

I love love love LOVE our one touch ping! It is so easy to customize our food on the computer and just upload it to the meter! Also, the wireless meter is so amazing! My daughter loves that she doesnt have to pull out her pump but to take a bath and to change the battery and insulin every three days. You basically forget about it. Also, you can customize the alarms to different songs for the alarms.
    I did a bunch of research before commiting and Ping was surely the best.....and customer service from Animas has been the best by almost any company I have dealt with...

10. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

We don't use the remote feature much. Our CDE actually suggested swapping the Ping and teh 2020 on the kids because my son didn't even put batteries in the ping remote and my daughter will use the remote when she wears a dress.

I do like Animas support. In fact it probably the best feature of the pump. They are good at service.

11. Kaylee's Mom

Kaylee's Mom Approved members

What did medtronic do to make you so mad? We have a ping but it is our first and only pump so far. We seemed to have gotten a "lemon" when she first got her's but they replaced it asap .. then we with the remote we have had a couple issues but they also replaced them asap. the first time i think one of the kids actually stepped on it so it was our fault .. this time it just starting not working right but we we have a new one by Wednesday so the customer service has been great!

Crystal

12. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I have had Medtronic(Minimed) and Animas pumps. I really did not have a problem with either company. Was it a shipping mixup?

13. ashley_lynden

No, it was them not returning my phone calls and e-mails. I was told all supplies need to start pumping would be included in the shipment and to go ahead and call to schedule his pump start. So I did. I got a second shipping notificatio na couple of days later and was curious what it was for. I thought it was for 3 months of supplies because he had said the doctor already turned in scripts for everything and we didn't have to worry about it. Nope, we get our pump and it;s just a pump, CareLink, the meter and IV prep, no resorvoirs and no sets. We had a couple of sets left over from samples from before so all I needed was resovoirs. I left detailed voice mails and sent detailed e-mails to both the rep in CA who got us set up with the pump and also with our local rep. I just needed a resorvoir overnighted, not big deal. Shoot, I was willing to drive a meet the local rep if I needed to to get one directly from him. But I never got a single response. Our endo's office said we had to have everything to start so they cancelled our appointment that was for tommorow.

14. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

What did your endo office say about all this?

15. ashley_lynden

Nothing. Just that I would have to reschedule.

16. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

I totally agree, you need this more than 1 day before school starts.