- advertisement -

Tegaderm VS IV3000

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by giddyup_go, Jul 5, 2011.

1. giddyup_go

giddyup_go Approved members

What is the difference between the two? Are there advantages / disadvantages of one? Is it just personal preference?

I did buy some IV3000 when Liz first started pumping, but we've never really used it. However, she should be starting a CGMS in the next few weeks and when she did the trial through the endo, they used tegaderm and it was really helpful. I'm thinking that we will really want to cover the cgms with *something*, I just don't know which would be better or if there's even really a difference.

Does insurance usually pay for either / or?

Editing to add new questions...

Where do you order yours from? I've only bought IV3000 from Animas, but after looking at Amazon, I am amazed at the price difference. Of course, I wouldn't be able to use insurance through Amazon. :-(

What size would I need to cover a Dexcom sensor well?

What is Tegaderm HP as opposed to the normal Tegaderm?

Does anyone use the Opsite Flexifix and if so, what do you think of that compared to Tegaderm or IV 3000?

Kind of off topic...before inserting the sensor, do I use just a regular alcohol wipe, or is it okay to use IV Prep or Skin Tac?

Thank you! :)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  2. tandjjt

tandjjt Approved members

We've used both and get pretty much the same affect from either. The IV3000 is a little more sturdy or stiff just in the feel of them - Tegaderm is softer and maybe a little more flexible or stretchy.

So far as preferring one or the other, its a toss up for us here - we just use whichever one we have on hand at the time!

3. tandjjt

tandjjt Approved members

Oh and insurance does pay for ours as part of our pump supplies. Medtronic ships them to us with our regular supply order.

4. giddyup_go

giddyup_go Approved members

Thank you for the information! I will check the Animas website and see which one is less expensive then. :)

5. Seans Mom

Seans Mom Approved members

For the Dexcom, we just use an alcohol wipe. The trainer put IV Prep on Seans first site so I used it a couple times afterward but found it much too hard to remove the sensor even after a week and a half. And it was irritating his skin so I stopped using it and only use an alcohol pad since. We get 2 wks. out of most sensors. Sometimes we cover a sensor with IV 3000 if it starts to get loose around the edges while still working really well.
    I have no experience at all with Tagaderm or Opsite Flexifit.
    I ordered a box of IV3000 with Seans first shipment of pump and supplies in early 2008 and still have at least half the box left. I've only used a couple to secure his pump site, a few for covering emla and the rest for covering dex sites. :cwds:

6. emm142

emm142 Approved members

No experience with Tegaderm, but I hate IV3000. It falls off me as soon as it gets wet. The best tape I've tried is Hypafix, which is white and the same type of tape as on pump sites / some CGMS tapes.

7. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Of the tapes we've tried, IV3000 is by far the worst. Tegaderm is miles better, and Opsite Flexfix is miles better than Tegaderm.

A lot of it depends on skin chemestry, but I find it almost unbelievable that IV3000 works for anyone. We would have better luck with Scotch Tape.

8. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Sorry for the semi-hijack, but have you tried Hypafix? If so, how did you think Flexifix compared to that? Hypafix is my favourite that I've tried, but my skin's reacting now and I've had advice to try rotating tapes, so thinking about adding Flexifix to the mix.

9. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Nope. Flexfix works well for us, so as of right now, we've not had to look further. :) It also has the advantage of being super cheap OOP.

I know others swear by Hypafix, so I do keep it in the back of my mind in case Opsite stops working for us.

10. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Okay, I'll probably try it. I'm always slightly afraid of the clear tapes in case they're like IV3000. :p Good to know that this is an option.

11. lynn

lynn Approved members

We've only used IV3000. I used to put it over pump sites but it was so hard to get off that I decided to try it without and found that his sites stay on fine without additional tape. We just finished with the iPro for a week and the IV3000 stayed on for five days before the bath finally made it start coming off. He had had a few showers but that was the first extended time in water with it over those five days. I trimmed around the edge and put more on over.