- advertisement -

Teens and nights and waking up...

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by nanhsot, Sep 30, 2011.

1. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

My other thread has prompted my thought processes this morning, so I thought I'd start a new thread.

How do your teens/preteens (really anyone can answer!) react to night time wakeups and how do you handle it. Clearly younger children you just DO stuff to/for them, but it's trickier with teens.

For example, my son is kind of goofy sometimes, depending on the time of night. He'll be very disoriented and it scares the crud out of me to trust him if he needs a correction.

He doesn't like me button pushing, plunging a syringe, or even operating his lancet, literally! I CAN do all those things, but he asks me not to, generally.

Some nights it takes me two or three wakeups to get him to even understand that I want him to test. I do all the prep, insert a strip, turn on the backlight, hand him the poker, then I go to the bathroom myself...came back and he's asleep! I am almost at the point of telling him he gets one call and then I'm the poker, is that reasonable? I get very grumpy when it takes so long, frankly. I'm not a spring chicken anymore, this waking up at night is taking a toll! If I can just check dex and tumble back to bed all is well but this extended stuff wakes me up overly.

Another example is a few nights ago he had some wonky business going on, he ran out of insulin at a volleyball game but insisted on food...ended up removing the plunger and forcing all the insulin out of the tubing. It actually worked fairly well but was totally random....so when I checked him at night I had NO WAY of knowing IOB, tried to talk to him (he was a bit high) but he was incoherent. I didn't know if he had given himself MORE when he got home (via syringe) or if he needed a correction, etc. I erred on the side of caution and just woke up an hour later and sure enough he had come down, thank goodness I didn't do a correction.

Issue is that he's not that trustworthy when woken. But he has stated emphatically that he wants to be the one who operates things. And full truth is that he's only home with me another few years, so this is an issue he needs to figure out.

Dex alarms don't even come close to waking him up. Not with pebbles in a jar, nor coins on a plate, we have the larger alarm set up but he rarely sets it.

How do other moms of teens (particularly those who insist on self management fully) handle the middle of the night fog?

2. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

I have to wake mine up. She WILL NOT let me poke her. So I go in, turn on the lights, load the poker and put the strip in. Then nudge her and she'll do the poke. She sometimes goes back asleep mid poke and I have to nudge her again.

She has worried me a few times when she's been pretty out of it and hit the buttons for a correction. But she's always done it correctly when I checked.

If it's just a 2AM check she'll be out before I get out of the room. If it's one of those nights where we end up having to do multiple checks she really doesn't sleep well. If it's a school day I will sometimes let her sleep a little longer and then just bring her to school late. Their school starts at a ridiculous 7:20 AM and if she's had a bad night there's just no way she's functional at that time.

She has gone on a couple of trips without me, or on sleepovers where she'll be high/low and need to test at night. She sets her cell alarm and gets up and does it. That seems to have worked so far.

My worry when she's on her own is that she HATES the night checks and just won't do them even if they are warranted.

3. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Ashleigh is 12, and thankfully still sleeps through night checks. Every once in a while she may open her eyes, but then she falls right back to sleep.

The only time Ashleigh likes me to check her sugar is in the middle of the night, or if she's shaking to bad from a low. When she was on MDI, she made me wake her in the middle of the night so she could do her own injection. She didn't want me to give it to her. Now on the pump I just do corrections through her meter remote, and she doesn't even wake up.

4. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

Sam lets me/my husband do everything at our house. She would prefer to sleep through it and I will literally test her, give a correction bolus for a high/or give juice for a low and she will not even open her eyes most nights. We've been doing this for 9 years so to her it's as normal as breathing.

When she's at her dad's house she prefers to be awakened and allowed to test/bolus/treat herself. Her dad isn't super knowledgeable about what to do when and she prefers to make those judgments and decisions herself.

5. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

We do it all for Tyler at night. He is nearly 16 :)eek:) but we feel that he has school and exams and such to worry about, so we prefer him to get a decent nights sleep.

Usually when we test him, he doesn't really stir, although if we have to squeeze to get blood out, he certainly wakes then.:)

If he needs a correction, his pump is clipped to the top of his pj top so I can access it and do what's necessary. If he is going low, then obviously we wake him to feed him milk.

9 times out of 10 he wakes with lows himself and self treats then tells us about it in the morning. At the moment he has hypo unawareness, so I am up most nights checking him to make sure he is safe. :cwds:

6. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

My DD has just taken another pump break and I am exhausted being the CGMS all night long. She allows me to test her overnight, but never to bolus. I usually just stick a straw in her mouth and feed her juice, Powerade or liquid Dex depending on how low. She would never let me give a bolus or a shot. Sometimes it turns into a yelling match, but I just persist. She did not like me looking at the pump either, so I would listen for the beep when the bolus delivery stopped and guesstimate from the amount of time, the amount of bolus. She is not complaining too much about waking up for a shot as MDI is her choice right now. I do find her to be overzealous on the corrections just as you say your son is.
    When she is at her Dad's, she is on her own, so she actually appreciates that I test overnight, even if she'd prefer to be left to sleep. I tend to repeat these stories on this site, but I think this one is important....no one was testing her last summer at her Dad's and she was losing her awareness of hypos in the daytime. Our CDE suggested DD was going low in the night, but waking up Ok (around 4 (= 80)) and that all these lows caused the unawareness. When she was back with me, I did a lot of nighttime testing and found that is exactly what was happening.
    It is probably awkward for a boy of 17 to have Mom in his room in the middle of night, but if he wants the responsibility and you out, he has to figure out a way to wake up and check or stop grumping when you do it.
    The years of lack of sleep are affecting my health, too. I am eating tons more veggies and taking tons more supplements trying to compensate. I do feel better when I exercise, but I have not been doing it daily. In a short while, they will be off to college and we will be sleeping. Hopefully, they will get better at hearing alarms and hopefully, they will grow to be as responsible as so many of the young adults on here are.

7. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

My DD (12) sleeps through everything during the night: BG tests, correction doses, honey. She asks for an update in the morning. She doesn't feel her nighttime lows and wants me to check her for security.

8. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Wow, that's scary cool.
    Sorry, back to your regular scheduled question.

9. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

My son sleeps through 99% of all night action, but when he does wake...and it takes a couple minutes to orient him and get him to do whatever...that messes me up. If I'm up for more than a quick minute to check, I can't fall back to sleep for an hour or two. So if Bobby started resisting me just doing the night stuff, I would definitely have to set some time limit. I think one call and then you just do it is fair at 3am. Mommy's tired dude. :cwds:

10. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Ack, I've been so close to doing this in the past!

Not much good advice as I'm quite similar to your son.. It's interesting to see it from another perspective, though! (Although, my family do it a little differently as my mum is not involved in my D management at all, so she doesn't have the stress of waking me up overnight, I just set an alarm.)

About the sleep-D-management, funny anecdote. I was at my friend's house the other day as we'd been out until the early hours of the morning the night before so another of my friends and I crashed on her spare bed. According to my friend, my pump was beeping overnight, and she couldn't wake me up so she wasn't sure what to do. But then, as she was thinking about it, I sat up in bed and operated my pump :eek:. She tried to talk to me but I was clearly still asleep (???) and so she went back to sleep. The next day she told me about this and sure enough I'd corrected for a high (using the number displayed on the CGM) at around 4am. I had no memory of this. So it seems like I may genuinely be able to manage diabetes in my sleep! :eek:

11. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

Kayla lets me do night time checks, but more often she does them herself now. She has two alarms set on her phone.. midnight and 6 am. I will occasionally check her now at 3 but that is about it.

12. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

ROFL, it actually was. Funny part was when he (very seriously) asked me, "do you think it's a problem if I inject some air into my muscle??" He actually stared at his muscles and pondered this problem as he forced the insulin out of the tubing.

What's really impressive is that he ended up close to in range!

Never get in the way of a teenager and his food!

13. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

This is strangely reassuring.

14. Ali

Ali Approved members

If you or your kid is on a pump please set the max. bolus at a low amount , so that the pump operator needs to over ride this amount during the day. (sometimes) At night this is a safety measure. Even without meaning to, in the middle of the night reacting to stuff or alarms if you use a cgms it is not all that hard to cause problems-either suspending or giving insulin. It is a bit of a pain but put in every safety stop gap you can for those operating a pump and especially a pump and CGMS unit on their own.:eek::(ali

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  15. alismom

alismom Approved members

Allison does not wake up for the Dexcom alarm. We have a baby monitor in her room. We wake up, test, correct or give juice. She rarely remembers it in the morning.

16. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

My son just turned 12 a few weeks ago. Since DX I have been doing my best to just check and not wake him at all, unless he was low and needed strawberry milk.

Just this week he has started to wake up and test himself. The first night he did it, I didn't know.At breakfast , I was filling in the log with the overnight numbers and there was a mystery BG that I know I didn't test. He got up around 12:45 am and tested at 250. I saw it and asked why he didn't come wake me. He remembers testing but cannot recall not being that high. Then the next night I washed my hands and went into his room to test at 11:35pm. The hallway light was on and he was sitting on the edge of his bed testing. Great number and we had a little conversation,and he lay back down. Next morning he said he recalled talking to me for a minute, but could not recall what we talked about and could not remember testing.

Right now it is 12:18 am. He got up a bit ago, tested and found that he had dropped way too far. Ate a gogurt and went back to bed. I think it may be the beginning of a new routine here, though I will continue to check during the night. I just hope he doesn't give himself a correction in the middle of the night and forget.

17. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

Jayden is 13, and I do it all in the middle of the night. I poke her finger and I correct. It's just always been the way we've done it. She wakes up, but she doesn't fight me on it.

18. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

I test both of my kids at 2am. Neither of them wake up. What I find amazing, is how many of you said your kids "won't let you" test them, or some said the kid didn't want the parent looking at his pump.

Until they are 18, they are children and as a parent, I don't see how they have the final word. I understand being independent and doing for themselves, but having to get up numerous time to make sure the kid actually does test and/or bolus would never fly in our house.

My almost 14 year old does everthing himself (and is at a sleepover tonight) but he'll text me his numbers and tomorrow morning I'll check his numbers.

19. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

It is very important to me that my son always feels respected, and it is HIS body, and if he asks me to please wake him rather than poke asleep, why would I not do so? IMO it would be a sign of extreme disrespect to go against his express wishes wrt to his body.

Not looking at the pump or meter is not an issue, he is open and free with his numbers He texts me his numbers when I ask him to. His Dex is an open book, and I am the one who downloads and interprets the trends, always.

He has consistently asked that HE do the injections, HE pushes the buttons, and HE pricks the finger. Why would I insist that I do any of those? Now, if we got to a point where there were constant battles about it, or he was hiding something then we'd have to sit down and discuss, but that hasn't happened. He's just difficult to fully arouse sometimes and I was curious how others handled. He will be living outside my home in a very very short time, so this is an issue that I would like to address, not just bandaid. Me poking would be a bandaid, how would that help him transition to being on his own?

Respect is a big thing in our home. I can't imagine forcing him to accept my poking him when he's asked me not to. So long as he is compliant and on top of things I will always respect his wishes. Not compliant, then things will change. They don't have the final word. But I want to work as a team, and I respect his body.

Just as you find it amazing that we don't just poke him at night, I find it amazing that anyone would poke when specifically asked not to.

20. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

We have the same situation as Nan. Maybe it's because they were diagnosed as teens? She has never let anyone do a finger poke since we were in the hospital. Even then I think the nurse did one or two and she's done every other one since.

I did her shots the first week then she was due at her Dads and she didn't want him to give her one so she's done every one since then.

She'll be off to college soon so I feel it's my job to prepare her to manage this all on her own. And there are days when she's had it and I take over more than others. But in general we work as a team. We look at numbers and see what needs to be tweaked. And she does all the pokes and pod changes.