- advertisement -

teenage girl grrr

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by mom2Hanna, Apr 7, 2011.

1. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

Hanna had her endo appt last week and her dr was pretty aggressive with her basel/bolus rates, changed everything, her ISF and her I/C. And for 4 days she had beautiful numbers. We even had one day I would dare call perfect, her one "out of range" number was 154!

Then I saw a high and boom, she gets her period and its all out of whack! Its so not fair! I don't want to have a higher basel for her period because she swings wildly from low to high. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that when its over, her numbers are good again.

darn hormones!

2. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

Has she got a basal program for when she is on her period? I've heard that's really common and most girls have a program for that time of the month.

3. Lee

Lee Approved members

We actually program a high one for the upswing and a low program for the low period. But we see the same thing!

4. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

Unfortunately, it's pretty common. Hang in there! Things are smoother for us this year (almost 14).

5. bibrahim

bibrahim Approved members

so is the different basal pattern actually on the pump or do you just go in and edit the basal and have the numbers written down and update it when you need to change it?

6. Lee

Lee Approved members

Minimed lets us have 3 different patterns, so I have Standard as the high pattern, Pattern A as the normal, and Pattern B as the low. That way, if she is running high, it easy to understand Go Up if High; or if she is running low, Go Down...

7. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

Becky, do you mind a few questions? We're on the Ping so we can have up to 4 basal programs. I've been working the last couple of months trying to set up alt programs.

We deal with a drastic drop in insulin needs 7-10 days before her period. The program I have for those few days is about 30% less, for now. The first day of her period the highs start & I'm having a lot of problems trying to get the basal adjusted. We're at 20% more now, but it's still not enough at some times of the day. And of course, next month won't even be close to the same patterns. We run a lot of temps.

How did you determine the increase you needed? Did you basal test & then tweak from there? Basal test over several months?

8. Lee

Lee Approved members

I don't mind you asking at all. I do a flat .2 unit basal increase or decrease across the board. Another mom here does a 20% increase/decrease to cover it. I tired that this month - doing a percentage instead of a flat rate, and it just didn't work well for her.

So we are back to .2 (although I am going to change the .2 to a point .3 at one point during the midday).

We actually had about 4 months of stability with this and then bam - things look like crap again.

9. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

I actually used a flat rate too. I calculated 20% of the current basal & increased/decreased by that amount across the board. We see a midday rise that's something new, & a little scary to do much with. She has PE right after lunch. We were seeing lows after PE, followed by a steady climb until around 3:30. After banging my head against the wall a few months, we got it under semi-control. Then the hormones kicked into gear & now I don't have a clue what I'll try. :eek: I've been following everyone that's further along in the game than we are, hoping for a miracle to fall my way. :D

10. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Right now, I need a higher basal for about 4 days before my period and the first 3 days of it (I don't need a lower basal at any point. A while ago I used to need a high basal for about 5 days before and a lower one during.. but apparently my D varies ;)).

At the moment my high rate needs to be about 40% higher than normal! It's crazy, especially since I don't have a clue when my basal needs are suddenly going to rise. I just have to watch out for consistent, hard to treat highs (especially AM numbers) and put my higher basal on when that happens.

11. Lee

Lee Approved members

I also created a reoccurring appt at work that just has a P...that way
    I know when to expect it - I also have an O for two weeks prior becuase we usually see about 2 days of highs at that time of month as well...

12. Gilliansmom

Gilliansmom Approved members

My dd is almost 14 and still hasn't gotten her period. Her numbers have been up and down and she gets so upset when we have to increase or change anything. I keep telling her that she is growing and we just have to keep adjusting the amount of insulin she needs just like her pancreas would do. I keep waiting for her to get her period, but I can tell by her ups and downs that it's her hormones. OYE! It's so comforting to get on here and know we aren't alone and there is a safe place for me to come and get answers to my questions or just vent, thanks everyone! :eek:

13. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

My daughter, 15, needs 20-30% more for at least a week before she finally gets her period. It is not so regular that I can predict the exact days, so we are more reactive. Teenage angst can cause many of those highs, too. There is lots of "drama" in their lives and I am sure PMS only magnifies it.

14. rexbeach

rexbeach New Member

Dayna turned 13, and does not get a "regular" cycle. It is every 1-3 months. Numbers are all over the place. We will email #s to our D nurse and she adjusts basals that way. Then we follow back up in a few days. Stinks for the girls because it is unpredictable

15. Victoria!

Victoria! Approved members

Wow...We are SO going through this! Just had a close call....

We have seen since DX the trend of 3-4 days with higher numbers before Lex starts, then high during. So we have a "normal" Basal, a "PMS" Basal and a "Period" Basal. Well it stopped mid-day yesterday, but numbers looked good, so we let it ride as we have been trying to tighten numbers....BIG mistake.

Thank GOD our CGM arrived today, and despite protest, we started it this evening rather than tomorrow. After the first 2 calibrations it was +/- 5 pts. We had dinner, no correction, then dessert, again, no correction just carbs (but her higher basal and carb ratio) and she tanked...We were sitting there playing with the cgm and watching it and noticed that it was getting lower...checked and confirmed...10 min later we were in alarm. Thank GOD I put that thing on. Otherwise she would have gone to bed and we would have had no clue.

Still shaken and feeling like a horrible mom for letting it get that low by not following my own rules...UGH

Lesson learned...When the period stops, go back to the non period rate immediately!