- advertisement -

Teen skipping lunch

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by Joretta, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

Can this hurt her in any way besides causing a low later in the afternoon? She tests her gf is usually 180 but does not eat and yes it is creating a low by the time I get home for dinner around 6ish, but not that low and I have been prepared for it with dinner in hand.

2. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

I don't think it is that big a deal to skip lunch...any more than it would be for you or me to skip lunch. If a low comes later, well that is a problem, but that can be dealt with.

My daughter is not a big lunch eater on school days.

3. joan

joan Approved members

Its fine to skip lunch. Is the metformin causing the low? Maybe she can eat or drink a small amt. of carbs to prevent the low.

4. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

I was thinking the same thing, may eat or drink like 10 carbs - maybe some nuts or milk?

5. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

My 14 year old likes to skip lunch on the weekends and holidays. I try to make her at least drink a glass of milk or have a chewy. Just something to hold her over till dinner. She'll usually opt for the glass of milk.

6. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Sounds like she's on a little too much levemir if she's dropping from 180 to low whenever she doesn't eat a meal. Her basal is probably partially covering her food, and her boluses are lower which counteracts that, so she has to stick to an eating schedule.

I'd lower the levemir some.

7. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

Thanks, I needed just to know she would be okay. Everything I heard they had to eat every few hours.

8. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

That would be faulty information. Diabetic go many hours without eating when they sleep. My son has to go 8 hours without eating when doing a basal test. This is a good basal test for her -- it lets you know the levemir is too high.

9. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

some Type 2s need to eat every few hours because of the fluctuations they feel because of their pancreas trying to work - my mom has that problem.

But a Type 1 on a basal insulin that can regulate them to a steady rate all day can theoretically go without eating. For some, they will actually go UP a little because the liver will shoot out some sugar since its not being fed.

If she's dropping that much then probably her Levemir is too high and was masking the food a little. I too suggest dropping the Levemir and changing the lunch I:C to be lower (i.e. 1:8 instead of 1:10 kind of thing) to get it better matched to food

10. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

Thanks! I need that kind of feedback it helps me see. Really didn't think about how she goes all night but I guess I was thinking little movement then daytime is more.