- advertisement -

Teen Girls & Nighttime lows that require tons of carbs and hours to come up

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by MomofSweetOne, Mar 3, 2014.

1. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I know we're not alone in dealing with occasional nighttime lows that sometimes take 100g or more before we see a budge in the BG, along with hours to see it change. From what I've read here, it seems like it occurs in teen girls mostly? Does anyone have an idea of what causes them? Is it related to times of cycle?

2. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Does she exercise? Sometimes exercise lows come hours later for us.

I know that cycles do factor in - there are many here that have different basal patterns during the month (it might actually be ovulation and not menstruation that has the different basal). Someone who is in the throes of that can contribute to that?

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

DD is 16 but I can't really say that we've seen any lows quite this pesky. Generally, I don't use more than 30g (and even that's rare) to treat a bad low at night, though I might treat with carbs and do a temp rate if I think we have a really serious sports delayed low. It seems that if I treat with more than 15-20g, she'll end up going too high eventually.

On the cycle question, we have a second basal pattern that is about 15% more across the board that is usually needed the week before.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

4. MomofSweetOne

Thanks. We've only seen about 5 of them, all in the last year. I can't find anything definite to attribute them to, though believe me, I've wracked my brain going through every possible option. The last one used 4 juice boxes, 1/4 bottle of honey, a 15% basal (on Medtronic) for over an hour, and she STILL continued dropping to a 48 and her after-spike was only to the lower 200s. I thought I remembered Wilf mentioning similar in their experience, so I hope he chimes in. Sometimes I wonder if she gets a surge of beta help, y'know?

5. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

The good news is that it seems DD has outgrown these nasty stubborn lows. She had several when she was 15 that took 175 carbs to bring up. My guess is a perfect storm of a lot of exertion during exercise, not dropping basals enough (even though she dropped them by 30 to 50%), not having good protein and carbs at bedtime (eg 1/2 sandwich would be better than having an apple as a snack) and a change in hormone levels. I could never convince DD to do basal temperature testing , but I am willing to bet that ovulation would have a role in this as would the hormonal change right before one's period.

It helped my anxiety level immensely to use liquid or gel Dex to bring up the lows as we would see her BG rise in just 5 or 6 minutes versus waiting for 20 to 30 minutes for juice to do the job. We could then use the other treatments to maintain her BG until it finally stabilized.

6. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

we've seen that before! We can a low during the day that might come up with only a pack of smarties (6 carbs). But have that exact same low number while she sleeps and it takes 40+ carbs and close to an hour to come up. Not sure why it's like this. I know Ashleigh is more insulin resistant at night. And her sensitivity factor is higher. 1:35 while she sleeps vs 1:45-1:50 during the day. So she needs more insulin for highs but she also needs more carbs for lows.

7. kirish

kirish Approved members

I have two children with type 1. My son had many lows like this when he was between 15-18 yrs old. I often thought it was due to exercise, but now I think it was a combo of growth hormone, exercise and perhaps a bit of the teen "I forgot syndrome". It was really hard with him because he would sometimes sleep right through it! He is now 19, second year in college and not seeing as many stubborn lows. Also he seems to wake up during a low now which is so reassuring. My 15 year old daughter - we are in a phase of night time highs right now, so we will see where that leads us....... Oh the joys of sleepless nights!

8. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

I read these stories and think to myself, there is no way I am going to let my DS not have a good CGM to get us through these things......

9. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

For about the first 8 months after her first period, my dd had stubborn lows like that. They weren't delayed lows from exercise because they often happened on days without any exercise at all. Some happened during the day, but the worst ones were overnight, & usually the week (7-10 days) before her period. Her gyn is convinced they were caused by sudden drops in estrogen & progesterone. According to her it's not uncommon, especially the first 2-3 yrs.

10. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

We're just getting into puberty and this is something I've only been dealing with a few times. Her basals fluctuate from 50 units a day to 77 units a day on a pattern that I'm guessing are precursors to the monthly cycle that will eventually hit. Our issue is that she gradually climbs and we keep upping basals and then she'll spend a few days at the highest rate...but then it drops to the lowest in a matter of 24-36 hours. Last week, we had a night that took 6 hours of really, really low basals (.05 and off), 10 glucose tabs and 2 juice boxes...and we still spent most of the night in the 40s and 50s. We dropped her basal to 45 units and she stayed there for almost a week. All that to say - for us, I definitely think it's hormones. She's not on a monthly pattern yet but we are figuring out that there is about 6 weeks between these highs and lows so I think it's the start.

11. roo'smom

roo'smom Approved members

I think I could have written this post - sometimes basals are 2u/hr, sometimes .075u/hr - no rhyme or reason! Had to use mini glucagon twice during the last 3 weeks because she just kept going DOWN - 81, 57, 48, 26!! It's at least comforting to know we're not alone… She hasn't started an actual cycle yet - spotting here and there, so I'm hoping that it evens out when she does.

12. wilf

wilf Approved members

We saw this in DD for the first years after puberty.

Her insulin needs would go up dramatically (20-40%) before her period, and then within 24 hours of it coming in they would drop right back to where they'd been with no warning or outward sign. When the drop in insulin needs happened overnight, we'd have these stubborn lows because the Lantus was already on board and couldn't be turned off..

13. MomofSweetOne

When did it improve?

14. wilf

wilf Approved members

Around age 16..