1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

teen depression with high and low bg's

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by wendy03, Jan 12, 2016.

1. wendy03

wendy03 New Member

Mar 27, 2014
    My 17 year old son is having a hard time. When his bg's are high or low this causes him to feel very bad he describes depression feelings. I am worried about him and how badly he feels at these times. He sees counselor at Endo visits but still does not help him with feeling so bad. I called PCP and PCP does not feels medication would help. I know ideal is to get numbers to stay in good range but easier said then done. He has had Type 1 since age 19 months so its really getting to him. Any advise would be appreciated.
  2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Aug 28, 2011
    It's rough, isn't it? This is such a busy, figuring out stage of life for them, and they also are facing the huge responsibility of being their own pancreas completely solo soon in a world that has no idea that diabetes isn't a simple shot or that the pump doesn't do all the work.

Does he have friends with T1D? That helps my daughter to be able to text or snapchat photos of graphs that tell the story with others that get it. Nothing takes away the awful of high BGs, but at least she feels less alone. I noticed that texts were flying on both Thanksgiving and Christmas as they were dealing with holiday carb counting, etc.
  3. katerinas

katerinas Approved members

Apr 20, 2010
    Question: He feels bad physically or psychologically because of the numbers?
  4. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

Nov 10, 2010
    Depression is generally thought of as something that is persistent for a long time. Since his feelings are only occurring when he is high or low perhaps what he is feeling would really be better described with a different word. Teenagers are notorious for not having a great handle on their own feelings and emotions. Identifying what he is actually feeling could be a great start for getting him some better help.