- advertisement -

teacher.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Izzi, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Izzi

Izzi Approved members

Recently (middle of November), my school had a fundraiser for diabetes. Three girls were in charge and we had two 'voluenteers' who helped us collect money. The first day I took the third floor. Most of the teachers made some contribution. Then some teachers forgot their money...totally undestandable. But, when I took the 2nd floor the next day, I walked into this Health teachers room, she told me and the other girl "I don't donate to stupid causes like diabetes. Breast cancer is more serious." My jaw probalby dropped to the floor. I could feel the tears coming but held them in and walked out. The other person with me, was furious too. Seriously saying that to a diabetic? I asked the other girl to finish collecting donations. She accepted, and I went to the bathroom and cried. I was so upset. Diabetes is serious isnt it? Why does cancer have to be so "oh my gosh, don't joke about cancer!" But you can make these diabetic jokes and the whole "john has 30 candy bars and eats 28. What does he have? Diabetes" people are so misinformed, but when we try to inform they don't listen. It upsets me. Ugh

2. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

Teachers should be much more cognizant of how influential they are in student's lives. The bottom line is that these teachers are too cheap to support your cause or any other. They did not "forget" their money. If they did, they would be trying to track you down the next day to give it to you. The hurtful one is just making up excuses for not wanting to open up her wallet. I cannot imagine how many moths will fly out when she tries to open it. Seriously, how big a deal would it be to give you a dollar or even 50 cents.

Try not to take this personally. The wealthy big shots I used to work with were exactly the same whenever we tried to fund raise for anything in the office. They always "had no cash on them".

3. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

I have to respectfully disagree with that, and I do not want to start an argument.

The teacher was wrong to say that, and I'm shocked that a professional anyone would say that. And maybe a few teachers "forgot" their money and just don't want to donate, so they tried the "nice" out to not donate. But I am offended by the generalization of teachers not wanting to donate. I couldn't possibly afford to donate to all the causes and fundraisers that happen at my school! There's just too many! $12 cheesecakes, $16 tubs of cookie dough, Toys for Tots, bowling night, Big Boys dinner percentage night, Fund run, Santa Shop, donating $ so the kids have food at x event, there's always something for school. Then at some schools, donating to buy kids coats or backpacks or boots. This is on top of buying much of their own school supplies, because schools do not give enough of a budget to teachers.

That ONE teacher said something inappropriate. But please do not lump ALL teachers together to say that we are cheap, or even all the teachers at that school are cheap. I've forgotten money too - dollar for hat day, 50 cents for popcorn, dollar for bagel. It's always something. I've given money to students who have to buy a snack between school and sports. On top of all this, I have told students that I forgot to bring the proper money to donate to things. I'm probably not going to hand over a $20 to a cause in school when I'm donating or supporting x all the time. Maybe teachers forgot to bring in a dollar or a five, or maybe their wallet really is empty from already giving so much.

(I didn't make any of these things up, I have spent money on every example I listed.)

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I decline donating to "diabetes fundraisers" as often as I elect to give. No one is obligated to donate and there are many reasons why one would decide not to. Calling all teachers "cheap" is uncalled for and crass.

As for the health teacher's comments, they are obviously so uncalled for and out of the realm of reasonable that all you can do is let it go. She's just one person and people often fall short of our expectations.

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Yes, I agree.

That one teacher obviously checked her filter at the door, because what was said was inappropriate and uncalled for. I volunteered in fundraising for years and had to go get donations for raffles. I learned early on to get a thick skin. Not all places/people were able or willing to donate. Some handled it gracefully, others, like this teacher were downright rude.

Remembering back to the last century when I was in high school:eek:, I recall that there were constant fundraisers. Look at it this way. There are 7 classes in a day. 180 days in the year. If a teacher gets a different kid in every class asking for a donation, that's 1,260 donations requests. And, that is only if 1 student from each class is asking. So, I can see where it can begin to wear on staff. Now, how they handle it is another story. Gracefully or rudely.

Sorry this happened, but welcome to the world of fundraising.

6. Izzi

Izzi Approved members

1) We didnt have a set goal in mind and on our flyers we said "during homeroom, stusents asking for donations will come around. Any amount is highly appricated--even 1cent? 2)I'm in no way called her cheap. Im upset that she acted that way. And then last night I'm the paper she donated $2,500 to breast cancer. I'm sorry but all that came out of her OWN pocket, but she couldnt afford to donate 1cent?????? That's what blows my mind. Its nit that she's cheap...she just didn't want to give because it was diabetes awareness.

7. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

You cannot take the fact that she didn't donate personally. Yes, what she said was terrible and inappropriate.

BUT, it's most likely very possible that someone very close to her is battling breast cancer and to her right now keeping that person alive is what's important to her, so she wants all $$ going to BC research. Who knows, it could even be her. I'm not defending what she said, but I am trying to give you a clear picture as to why she probably didn't donate.

As I said earlier, you have to have a thick skin when it comes to fundraising. The reasons, excuses are many, but just thank them and don't question it (now she didn't deserve a thank you for what she said), because next time they may donate. Also, as I said, teachers in a HS setting are constantly being asked to donate. It does get to be too much.

I would just move on from this and next time you need to fundraise, just skip over her.

8. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

If teachers gave to every cause in my school they would need public assistance. We have a teacher on leave dying from cancer - we support her, diabetic kids, breast cancer support for teachers, hungry kids, Christmas needing kids, kids who parents prefer cigarettes to paper and pencils for their child, a state government who wants parents to supply student needs and have cut spending. The teachers are in the middle. Please don't judge me if I forgot the quarters I have remaining for all the worthy causes because I have inflated medical for my own child while I skip my own medical. Once again prospect a teacher because she said something in the wrong way, when you do not know her reason.

Instead ask the principal if she would support and informational volunteer presentation for the health classes. Then get someone and present to the health teachers class and stop ignorance

9. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I have never and never intend to donate to a diabetes fundraiser.
    But that was a stupid reason and a mean thing to say.
    If that's your health teacher, that's exactly the teacher you'd hope wouldn't say stuff like that. It might be worth it to try to educate her, but do remember that people who say stuff like that will probably continue to say mean things because that's their response to any beginning of a guilty feeling- to say something offensive as a defense mechanism.

10. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I am sorry that this teacher was so rude. She certainly could have been nicer about the whole thing. I suspect that Breast Cancer is more personal to her and maybe she has had a close friend or relative pass away as a result of breast cancer. The tone I am getting from her words suggest this may be true and that it was very recent. At the same time she didn't need to treat you like she did and she could have been much nicer at the same time. I am sorry she treated you like that.

11. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

To me it is not about supporting the cause as much as it is supporting the child. We are not talking about supporting the rep team so they can travel to a tournament in Europe or wear matching track suits. This is not about a school library needing more books. I do not buy cookie dough and $4 candy bars any more as most of those funds go to the fundraising company. I offer a couple of bucks cash instead.

Every child in the school does not have an incurable disease they must live with each day. I could not look in the eyes of a child with asthma and not donate to the Lung Assoc they were canvassing for or a child with a sibling with cancer collecting for the Cancer Associations (even though so few dollars cancer collected actually go to research).

Those children are coming to you with hope in their hearts and they look up to their teachers. A tiny donation says "I care". A lie says "I don't".