- advertisement -

Teacher shocked by a low

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Traci, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Traci

Traci Approved members

Let me preface this by saying that our school staff is phenomenal. They are excellent with my son. And I love his teacher! This is not a commentary on her actions at all--more on how people who don't deal with d day in and day out really just don't get it.

DS's teacher was telling me that she couldn't believe ds didn't remember that he needed to eat fruit snacks when he was 47 in class. She said he just told her he needed to go to the nurse. She told him to eat fruit snacks first and she said he just looked puzzled at the suggestion. Ummm...yeah, that's because HE'S LOW! She said she never realized a low would impact him like that. She's had other d students, taken the classes, been talked to about d by both me and the nurse--but she said the fact that he could not remember to eat his fruit snacks just really floored her. Welcome to my world.:cwds:

2. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

Sounds like a good learning experience for her. I hope she will remember it well.

3. Traci

Traci Approved members

Yeah, and I have even explained how a low--or even a high-- can make it like attempting to reason with an intoxicated person. He might seem fine, or he might not know his own name. She had just never experienced it before.

4. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

I think it's one of those things that you think you get but you really don't until you see or experience it first hand. In a way, it's good that it shocked her, she'll probably remember it.

5. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Seeing it is so much different than hearing or reading about it. Glad she insisted he needed to fruit snacks and didn't just let him go by himself to the nurse.

6. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Yep, kudos to the teacher :)

I can say, without hesitation, that my decision making and cognitive ability is often very impaired while low.. I've never been combative nor have I passed out or anything, but I've certainly done some very odd things when my brain fails to make the connection between "hey I'm low" and correctly managing the situation :rolleyes:

7. timsma

timsma Approved members

Just curious how you are after having a low? How soon does your cognitive ability come back to normal? Is it as soon as you come back into range? Does it depend on how low you go? I worry about Tim driving too soon after being low and wonder if he really CAN think clearly enough to safely do so.