- advertisement -

TDD?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by samson, Nov 2, 2016.

1. samson

samson Approved members

Our 2.5-year-old T1D weighs about 35 pounds and is taking in 12 - 15 units per day. This seems high based on what I've read.
    So I'm wondering, what's the typical TDD for your child?
    Would a higher TDD be an indication of insulin resistance?

2. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Varying amounts of TDD can be the result of a lot of things.... including growth hormones. It may be of no concern at all, but the best person to ask would be your child's endocrinologist.

3. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

Its generally accepted that "normal" amounts of insulin are around 0.5-1 unit/kg of body weight once out of honeymoon. So 35lbs is 15 so thats 1 units per kilo. Also remember, growth hormones increase amount you need, as does how many carbs you eat. My husband has T1 - and when he eats lower carb (as he flips in and out of) he uses about 30 units/day, and when he eats "regularly" he uses about 45 units/day. So There are a lot of factors. Generally with insulin - "You need what you need" is the motto! :)

4. Manuel

Manuel Approved members

My son is also 2.5 years old, he weights 13 Kg (30 pounds) and use between 8 and 10 units per day. So it is 0.6 - 0.8 unit/kg. Our diet is mainly vegetables, fruits, meats (chicken, fish, cow) and some pasta. Is not a special diet, is the mediterranean diet that I think it might be lower in carbs than the traditional american diet.
    If it is working for him, don't worry. Ask your endo if you still are worry about it.

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

YDMV...Your Diabetes May Vary

There are many variables to consider when asking "is this normal." Growth, diet, impending illness, activity level...
    The best thing to do is A)talk to your team about this B)Track everything including what was eaten. Provide this info to your team and they will be able to walk you through everything and figure out if it's resistance or not.