- advertisement -

Taxes - share ideas/input

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by TimO, Feb 14, 2010.

1. TimO

TimO Approved members

Believe me, I'd pay anything to get D off all our backs, but I'm preparing for tax app't this week and wondering if there are any tax breaks for parents of a child with a chronic medical condition. If not, there should be. I'm not trying to benefit from D in any way, but with all the crap we put up with there should be some breaks. Why not cell phone deduction? We both need to be available to contact in an emergency with our D-son. Also medical miles to/from dr. appt's? I'm told we can't deduct dr/suply costs since we flex it, but what about miles, parking, etc? I suppose this all falls under the 7.5% AGI requirement, correct? Just wanting to help everyone here during the tax season so we don't miss anything. Ideas/hints/input welcome and appreciated!

2. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Yeah, you can't deduct money spent from pre-tax savings, which your FSA essentially is.

I am pretty sure you can claim some things like a cell phone as a medical expense *if* you get your doctor to basically write a statement saying it's a medical necessity. This goes for some other things such as Gym memberships as well.

Of course, I looked all of this stuff up before I realized that even if we scraped together every possibly penny we've spent on all the medical and dental expenses this year (and counting all the extras, mileage, etc), we barely come ot half of our standard deduction anyways. Oh well :p

3. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p502.pdf
    pages 5-17

We drive 300+ miles to the endo clinic. We deduct mileage (24 cents/mile or actual cost of gas/oil, pg 14). Parking fees & tolls are also deductible (same pg).

You might be able to get by claiming a deduction for cell phone if you have a Dr's note stating medical necessity, but you would have to have a very detailed/accurate accounting of medical vs. personal use in case of an audit.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  4. TimO

TimO Approved members

thanks for the info. i'm assuming you aren't flexing medical dollars if you're deducting medical mileage/parking. i would think that would fall under the 7.5% adjusted gross income requirement to deduct anything related to medical costs. also, if i deduct cell phone it would only be the monthly plan fee, no phone calls, just the cost to have the service to contact us in an emergency. i don't want to mess with records relating to personal vs medical calls. just the $50 base fee for having the phones.

5. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

No flex account. Our insurance is...not so great. We've paid out of pocket for all testing supplies since dx. Our clinic validates parking so there's nothing to deduct. But yes, all medical expenses are subject to the 7.5% kickout. You simply add the mileage deduction (+ parking, tolls etc) amount to the total after calculating your medical/prescription deductions. Lodging is allowed if you travel long distances, but the limit is $50 per visit & the IRS would probably frown if you stay at the Waldorf.:D

I seriously doubt the IRS would allow the base plan deduction without being able to prove the phone was used solely for medical purposes. The usual way of calculating deductions like this would be to find the total percentage of all personal vs. (in this case) medical use. Either way, you would need detailed records to back up your deduction.

Of course, the odds of an audit are slim. :p