- advertisement -

Tax credit

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Artgirl, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Artgirl

Artgirl Approved members

Its tax time and i have a question. Our daughter was diagnosed with type 1 last year. We applied for the tax credit and was told that because she was 17 she had to prove that she spends over 14 hours a week taking care of her diabetes a a in order to qualify. I was shocked. This is a life threatening, costly disease and they won't approve people because its not a time consuming thing on a daily basis. I found this not right. We are in Canada (Ontario). Does this apply to any of you out there? I totaled the hours and its roughly 8 hours a week total. Don't know how to boost this to 14 hours a week to qualify. Any suggestions? They did say they approve kids under 16 regardless of hours required to manage diabetes. Wow!!

2. Sprocket

Sprocket Approved members

If the doctor would write a letter to support this, you might have a better chance - or maybe you've already done that. If your daughter does a lot of sports and/or is active, or has teenage type fluctuations in blood sugar, you might argue that she needs to monitor her blood sugar closely and requires more frequent testing and adjusting of insulin doses.
    I know we had some luck requesting more test strips than the limit would allow because of those reasons and also because we had changed types of insulin that year which required more attention and testing.

3. Mary Jayne

Mary Jayne Approved members

This is a good resource for filling out the forms for the diabetes tax credit. It shows examples of what types of activity are allowed to be totalled in for the 14 hours a week. http://www.diabetesadvocacy.com/DTC.htm