- advertisement -

Tattoo bracelet?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by lynn, Sep 23, 2011.

1. lynn

lynn Approved members

My daughter came home from work tonight to tell me that there was a new girl working today who has diabetes. She said she knew it because the girl has a tattoo bracelet that says "diabetic". I thought it sounded pretty cool for people who can't stand the feeling of a bracelet all the time.

2. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

Tyler wants to get rid of his medic alert bracelet and get a tattoo instead. I don't particularly like tattoos myself, but Carl and I are ok with this sort of thing.:)

3. Jake'sMama

Jake'sMama Approved members

whatever works!

4. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

This topic comes up from time to time.

Speaking from the US perspective, the reason for the medical bracelet is to inform emergency personnel that the person has type 1. In an emergency, these people are trained to look for the necklace or the bracelet that indicate a medical condition. So many people have tattoos, having the word diabetes imprinted on the skin could be overlooked.

5. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

Also, many EMT are working in low-light situations. They actually feel for the bracelet or necklace to find if one is there before getting out their flashlight. A tattoo could be missed that way as well...

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

This is what our EMT told us. They said even the neoprene ones that kids wear are tricky because it's so easy to overlook those.

7. lynn

lynn Approved members

Hmmm, I didn't consider not having the light to see it. My daughter said it is an actual bracelet tattoo. It has the links of chain around it and everything.

8. emm142

emm142 Approved members

The other problem which someone mentioned in the thread on this from a while ago was that in a serious accident, there may be damage to the area where the tattoo is which means that it cannot be seen (horrible as that sounds :eek:). Traditional forms of ID are probably better overall, but I'd say that a tattoo is definitely better than nothing.

9. swellman

swellman Approved members

Are we talking about a real, permanent tattoo on a child?

10. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Since the girl the OP mentioned was at work and has a tattoo, I'm assuming she's an adult.. ;)

11. lynn

lynn Approved members

She is an older teenaged girl.

I have an older son who would never be able to wear an alert bracelet or necklace because of the feel of them. He's one of those who can only wear a certain cut of shirt and all of his tags are cut out of his clothes. For him it would be the tattoo or nothing.

I don't know how I've missed these conversations in the past?

12. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I'm confused....are the links of chain tattoos as well, as in inked loops that LOOK like chains, or somehow there are actual chains. Ok, that sounds stupid when I type it up, but I don't know what it means "an actual bracelet tattoo". An actual bracelet can be removed.....a tattoo....cannot!

I've seen many tattoos that are drawn to look like jewelry, is that what you mean? But it's still basically flat, in the skin, and not something physical that would alert someone to itself?

I'm with the others in that I do not trust a tattoo to alert an EMT at all. Tattoos are much too common these days, they are everywhere in abundance and one on an accident victim could be overlooked much too easily.

13. swellman

swellman Approved members

My bad ... I thought I read "school".

14. lynn

lynn Approved members

Yes, the links are tattoo as well. It sounds sort of cool looking to me---I've never seen jewelry tattoos.

15. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Apart from tattoos, the first other Type 1 parent we met post-diagnosis was a cop. He was speaking to a kids' group about diabetes, and he mentioned that he stresses to his department to LOOK for medical IDs and to also look for them if someone appears drunk. Apparently it is not as automatic that they check as we would hope. I always worry about the cute bracelets not screaming "diabetes" loud enough. She wants it not to scream it when she's with friends, but for my sanity, we have an ugly gray/red one for when she goes swimming without me. I did pass the "diabetic" swimcap up, though!

16. pancake111

pancake111 Approved members

I really want to get one of those, except not one of a bracelet. I asked my parents what they thought (I'm 16) and my dad said it was gaudy. But I think once i'm 18 or 19 I'll get a tattoo that says i'm diabetic.

There's this awesome site that has a tone of pictures of diabetic tattoos
    http://www.diabetesadvocacy.com/tattoos.htm

17. sooz

sooz Approved members

I did buy some temporary tattoos for Hailey online that I felt would be useful for going places like Disneyland for example, and put them on her heart area. I cant get her to wear a bracelet but I feel her omnipod is one clear hint that she is a diabetic. I know it could come off, but then so could jewelry. :(

http://www.laurenshope.com/product/1198/TT-1/diabetes-temporary-tattoo/size link to temporary tattoos for type 1 D