- advertisement -

Tape for Dexcom

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by dshull, Nov 11, 2013.

1. dshull

dshull Approved members

We have been using Dexcom for about two months. Generally we have gotten away without taping the transmitter down - sometimes when it was looking like the tape was peeling up, we put an IV300) on it, but that did not last. It seems like Opsite Flexifix works for most people who want to tape it down. Question - do you use a 2 inch or 4 inch roll? And do you tape it down as soon as you insert it? Does that last for 1+ weeks or do you wait until it starts to peel up? Just trying to figure out which kind to order. Thanks!

2. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

We use the Opsite from the day we put the transmitter on. I'm not impressed with the adhesive. I thought it was the same as the Pod adhesive, which we never have to tape. But I find from the minute we put the Dex on, it lifts. Cut it in to strips and tape around the edges, but I have taped over the whole thing before too. Ours is 4 inch. Got it on Amazon.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We use the 2" and cut 4 strips about an inch or so and "frame" the dex adhesive. For us it's been terrific. We usually put it on around day 7 and it carrys us through another 7 or so days. And no skin irritation either ;)

4. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I'm like 3kidlets. We have to use the adhesive from the very beginning. I have to trim the edges and often touch it up around day 7. Emma's pump sites last a long time but Dex won't even stay on a couple of hours without extra tape and that doesn't last the full 7 days, much less 14, without touch ups.

5. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We use Hypafix from the beginning. I put four strips around the original tape to hold it down. Recently we began overtaping the entire thing with a 4" square like we did on MM. I know they say not to, but my daughter very persuasively argued that there is no difference between it being covered with hypafix or underwear. I figured she was right, and so we experimented. It stays taped much better, and we see better accuracy than before. It hasn't affected the range at all.

6. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I use 2 inch. I fold it in half and cut a square out for the transmitter. Then I place it on top. Because it does not totally overlap on one side, I put another small piece of tape on that side.

I tape as soon as I insert it. After 7-10 days I peel up the tape and replace it (more because it starts to look gross than anything else). I could get at 3+ weeks out of a sensor but I usually pull them by then.

I am attaching 2 pictures of what I do. They are from when I used to use tegaderm but it is the same concept. I switched to the opsite from tegaderm because it was cheaper :eek:

7. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

We use the 4". Fold and cut a hole in the middle. We put it on to start. Sometimes after a week/10 days I need to add some on were it starts to roll up.

8. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

We've always used Tegaderm, but to each his or her own. My only advice is to shop on Amazon for it. We got a GREAT deal on Tegaderm there.

9. Shopgirl2091

Shopgirl2091 Approved members

We use the 2" as well, just cut it into strips and place it all around the adhesive. We put it on as soon as Dex goes on. I've found that if I don't the sensor will only stay on for about 15 minutes. Pretty worthless for adhesive, but it also might just be my son's skin.

We love buying the tape from Amazon, it's a great price and seems to last a long time.

We do have to trim and tape around the edges a little as time goes on, but it is much better than having the sensor fall off.

10. sincity2003

sincity2003 Approved members

This is how our CDE showed us to do it and how we've been doing it. The first 3 on his stomach, we lost within 1 day. We put the 3rd on one his left hip and it lasted 6 days. We put a new one on last night, on his right hip, and he called me at 2pm today to tell me it fell off. I also ordered the Opsite yesterday on Amazon and it's supposed to be here by the 15th (I thought we had time since the last one lasted 6 days). I'm really wondering at what ponit Dexcom is going to cut us off :(