- advertisement -

Tandem Cartridge Pigtail Broke!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mamattorney, May 6, 2014.

1. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I don't know about you, but this is not what I wanted to see when my daughter pulled her pump out to bolus for dinner tonight -

[​IMG]

The pigtail tubing was completely severed. It must have just happened because it didn't seem to have any effect on her BG (and she was playing outside before dinner, so that probably helped). Called it in, and they are sending a new box of cartridges. I wonder if it was flawed or my daughter just got it caught on one too many cabinet knobs or something. . .

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

We've had this happen while using the MM pumps. Not sure if it was the set or she was being rough with it. It always happened when she used the clip and not a pouch. This is one reason why we always save extra tubing.

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I think we had that happen once, but it was with our MM pump. I've heard others who had it happen - seems to be a natural weakness in the tubing at that point, or more likely that point in the tubing has the most stress on it, especially when kids pull the pump out of their pocket by the tubing.

One good thing about the MM is that when this happened, you didn't need a whole new reservoir too, whereas on t:slim, you do.

4. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I have also had it happen with a MM pump. I was going to suggest changing the tubing more frequently than the reservoir if it happens again but I don't think that would help with the tslim. I know I fill a reservoir with 300 units and use it until it is empty which can take me over 2 weeks. I try to change out the tubing at least once a week though or it starts to get really weak at the connection to the reservoir. I always pull my pump out of my pocket by the tubing so that is probably part of the issue. Sorry, that probably isn't helpful but just wanted you to know that this isn't a problem exclusive to the tslim and its' pigtail!

ETA: found a pic from last time it happened (which must have been awhile ago because the pink pump was 2 pumps ago!)

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  5. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I'm glad it's not a t:slim only issue. The worst part was having to change the cartridge. I had to toss 180 units worth of insulin, which means I filled it only 2 days ago. I do fill it all the way and just use it until it's gone.

I actually told them I didn't need a replacement box of cartridges - I am still trying to find someplace to give of my some extra boxes away - but they insisted.

6. lmf1122

lmf1122 Approved members

This happened twice to us, though both times were in the middle of the night and at the other end of the pigtail, at the luer lock connector. Glad we had the CGM to catch it fairly early.

For the future, you can reclaim the unused insulin by using a syringe to take it out of the cartridge through the same spot that you insert the insulin. We've had a couple of cartridge alarms recently right after changing the cartridge, and were able to pull out the insulin and use it in the new cartridge without any problems.

7. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

We've had it happen once and DD told me that it was probably because of how she had shoved it into a very small pocket all day. She wears a clip with those jeans now ;)

I'm an insulin puller - anytime we lose a pod early or change a cartridge before it's empty, I take the insulin out and use it in the next one.