- advertisement -

Talk to me about insulin needs and a girl's cycle

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Nancy in VA, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Got called to school on Friday. Emma wasn't unresponsive but pretty damn close to it. Mumbling nonsense, etc. But she was 80-90 the entire time. She'd been fighting lows in the morning and had reduced her basal but something else was going on.

She was ok over the weekend and she was even running around playing some. Now she's back at school and having morning lows again. Yesterday, I changed both of her basal patterns that affected her AM, one of them pretty significantly. she still barely went up from breakfast and just got her second low alarm. Thank God for dex. I just had her return basal 30% for a couple of hours in addition to treating. I think Friday scared her a little bit too, as well as me, so we'd like to avoid that.

The only thing I can think is maybe her cycle is doing this. She hasn't had her first period yet, but she's close. So, what have others observed in the 4 weeks of a girls month that I can be watching for.

2. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

Sophie always runs lower in the days leading up to her period, and then goes high when her cycle actually starts.

3. Nancy in VA

Emma is definitely in a low trend right now. I haven't downloaded the Dex recently but I don't have to - the amount of texts we are sending back and forth are enough. I'll have to keep track of when she may start going higher again.

4. Ali

Ali Approved members

Low, low, low for a few days before starting.

5. Nancy in VA

Well, we ended up fighting lows for a whole other reason on Sat. Hubby didn't pay attention and made her entire personal sized pizza with regular crust instead of gluten-free. She ate the entire thing. And then popcorn. Dosed for it all. Then threw it all up. She must have drunk about 60oz of juice and her pump was off for about 3 hours to keep her around 100. Then, of course she shot up to 400 and we had to bring her back down.

Now we know how she reacts to gluten!

6. Ali

Ali Approved members

Oh my so sorry for all of you:(.

7. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I can't really speak for a newly menstruating girl since I was diagnosed as an adult (though I didn't start until I was 14 and my periods were insane as a teenager so I'm kind of thankful I wasn't dealing with T1 then too!), but for me, as someone not on any kind of hormonal BC, I always run high starting a couple days after ovulation to just before my period starts (so 10-11 days of chasing higher #'s), at which point I drop low and basically tank for a day or two, sometimes three, with greatly reduced basals before kind of settling back into what is "normal"... I know for ME at least, the reason for this is progesterone - which is naturally highest post-ovulation (and effectively acts as a glucocorticoid, which is why I run higher) and drops before menstruation, which is actually what triggers that to start. It's really obvious to me when I ovulate so that rise is easy to anticipate, and my LP is very consistent even when the rest of my cycle isn't (I am medically considered "regular" but my cycles can be anywhere from 29-40ish days), so I can usually predict the "drop" fairly well too.

However, from what I've seen others talk about, this is something that is wildly variable for everyone. Everyone has different levels of hormones, and they can even be wildly different from month to month, and the effects of hormonal BC can also have wildly varying effects... there's a lot that can be "normal" but unfortunately you won't really know what is normal for her until you've got a few cycles to look back on.

8. Ali

Ali Approved members

Oh my Sarah
    I spent close to 40 years dealing with high high highs mid cycle, mine was only for about two days though, then normalized, but then 2 days of low low low before starting, i.e. eating non stop eating and reducing insulin. No one ever explained to me why and how to work with. I did have all male endos, might not have been the best at this, but still! For me it was a real nightmare as my cycles were not so regular that I could be proactive, but it could have been so much better with the knowledge you have and support from my endo. Plus I was on shots till my foties:( Hard to backtrack a shot. Thank you for sharing.

9. Just Jen

Just Jen Approved members

Yes, Sarah, thank you so much for sharing. My T1D girl is still (please, LORD) a few years away from this. But knowing this, I can start looking for patterns sooner rather than later to help her out. She has a male endo, whom we love and don't want to change, but her CDE is female who also has T1D. Love this community for the information and help it can provide!

10. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

How strange is it that I only now that I realize I've only ever had female endos - I briefly saw a (female) PA who worked under a male endo when one of my prior endos left the practice, but he wasn't technically accepting new patients and I never actually had an appointment with him, so I was ultimately put under the care of another female doc, and somehow I've always ended up with women :)

Anyways though, it was actually a female (and T1) CDE who really explained the hormone cycle to me, and then I brought it up at my next yearly OB/Gyn appointment and my doctor (a man) basically confirmed it for me (ironically up until my current Gyn, all of my prior ones were men!) and also discussed the reasons why they used to not recommend hormonal BC to diabetics (because in the days before MDI, changes to dosages on that timescale were more challenging to manage - patients were typically on fixed doses or sliding scale and didn't adjust their own dosages, and accommodations weren't really made for "I tend to run higher for this part of the month, and lower for this other part"). In many ways I feel like I was blessed to kind of have the perfect opportunity early on to have it explained to me, at almost the perfect time, otherwise I bet i could have struggled for years and years without understanding what was happening and why. I don't take hormonal BC because I have Factor V Leiden (and it creates a very high and very real risk of blood clots), but it was still very interesting to hear about that as well.