- advertisement -

Taking a pump break and not pleased about it

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Flutterby, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Kaylee is voicing her opinion very loudly about not wanting to pump right now. We have agreed to let her have this coming weekend without the pump. On monday she'll go back to pumping for the school. She doesn't remember anything other than pumping because she was only on MDI for a few months, plus she was only 3. I plan on doing her basal amount of apidra in Lantus. And we'll either do untethered or go completely on shots for the weekend. If she really doesn't want to go back to pumping them we are going to have to do some serious work with the school as they've never done a shot. Personally, I think they'll freak out completely. I'll most likely have to hang around school a lot, which Kaylee won't appreciate.

I don't want to do this at all, as I know the problem its going to cause, but I promised her we'd do it for this weekend. I'm hoping she hates it, but also trying to prepare myself for the possibility that she may like it and we'll have to put the pump on the shelf for a while. Our other problem is the cgms. Cgms is not an option, at all. So, she'll still be carrying around a device with her. This weekend, however, I will let her go without it, so she can have a break of wearing nothing. She claims she's tired of wearing the pump, carrying it around, honestly, Idon't blame her, thats why I'm willing to let her try this out. My other though is maybe the omnipod, which we'd have to pay out of pocket because the insurance covered a brand new pump last year. I wouldn't mind buying the PDM and some pods and having her use it when she's tired of wearing the pump, but again, we have the same issue of the cgms and her still carrying around that device..

Anyone else go through this with their kid(s).. If you gave them a break what did they end up choosing to do..

Last time we did lantus she was on .5u, now her basal is 12something..

2. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Rachel didn't want to pump once until the first needle came at her and then pumping was great.
    No Advice but I hope it all works out for you...:cwds:

3. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Emma had a sort-of unplanned pump break in December when we realized that there was a problem. She still wore it for basal but she was getting shots for every meal and correction. She didn't like that.

But, we did have a 3-4 day CGMS break last week and she appreciated that as well. She liked not having the transmitter on her arm, etc, and we just did a lot of setting the alarm overnight to do checks, and more checks, and more checks

4. Flutterby

Normally when I say, OK you can go to shots but its not just one a day, its every time you eat, and you can't eat freely, she changes her mind. This time it bit me in the #$@ so I'm sticking to my word.. Hoping that once we do it, she won't like it and will want her pump back.

5. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

Kim - I applaud you for allowing Kaylee the 'freedom' she feels she needs right now.

What about her pump makes her not want it? You mentioned Omnipod. Does she not mind the CGM? Is it the pump tubing? Has she tried wearing a pod?

I know when Mann was wrestling and was able to be podless for a few hours he felt 'free' for that short time.

I think sometimes they just need a break. I wish we could give them a total break....:(

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Good luck, Kim! You're braver than I am.

I rue the day when Maddie asks the same.

But you are doing the right, albeit, hard thing, in listening to her.;)

7. Flutterby

Wanda, she's saying its to heavy and getting in her way, and she just doesn't like wearing it. I haven't asked her about the pod yet, its just something that came to mind.. I'll talk to her about it this weekend when she goes to shots.

Sarah, I honestly really don't want to do this.. and up until this point she didn't have a say.. (and every time she mentioned it I made shots look horrible by explaining it all to her.. she changed her mind but this time it didn't work).. I could see it in her face of how much she needs a break.. it wasn't something that she was just frustrated and said it.. there was more to it.. so I told her she could.. She's looking forward to this weekend.

8. Brynn

Brynn Approved members

I'm going to play the devils advocate here: and by the person with diabetes.

I'm not a child and not the parent taking care of a child with diabetes however I am a PWD. I can see where your child is coming from. Just to have a day free from anything is liberating and maybe that is what she is looking for? She can't get rid of her diabetes.. but she can get rid of the pump and the CGM... if just for a bit. It can be relaxing it might not seem like it but it really really is.

9. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Diabetes can be managed with injections. Thousands of children and adults do this.

I understand that the pen is easier to manage than syringes.

What will be difficult is keeping the sugars in range for a weekend. Lantus takes a while to kick in and then to get out of the system.

10. Flutterby

This is the reason why we are doing it. I know she needs a break.. she has no idea what shots are like because she doesn't remember it (she has gotten shots here and there for bad sites, high number etc)..

I'm well aware that diabetes can be managed with injections. We've been pumping for 5 years with an occassional injection. Her school has NO IDEA how to do an injection, fill a syringe, or manually calculate carbs. It would be a HUGE change for everyone to make that change and stay that way. Its not something that I'd be able to say, ok, you can go to injections and then just send her to school. I'll have to start all over again, and retrain EVERYONE. Her teacher is just now getting the pump.

We've never done the pen, ever. We have one, but we don't have the cartidges, or needle tips. It would make no sense for us to go to the pen at this point.

I'm sure her numbers will be all over the place this weekend as she typically has 8 or 9 different basal rates going, going to lantus will be a huge change. But I see how much she NEEDS this break, if the result is a few whacky numbers and a happy child who feels better, I'll take it.

11. Tripletmommy

Tripletmommy Approved members

Good luck!! I hope Kaylee enjoys her break for the weekend.... And I hope it's a fairly uneventful weekend for you guys ;)

12. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

You could still use the pump to help you give accurate insulin doses by plugging in the BG's and carbs. What if, after a weekend of injections, she tried doing untethered? We went without a pump one day last summer, but it only lasted for 2 injections.

13. Flutterby

We've thought about untethered, and will use the pump this weekend to keep track of everything. But if we were to do that at school we still have the issue of the cgms. And, what would we do with the pump while she's at school, I'm afraid it would get lost because no one is use to it being off of her.

14. Ali

Ali Approved members

To make a fair comparison I would suggest that if she does it on her own with the pump she do it on her own with the shots. i.e. she gets the syringes or pens, figures out the dose/correction/IOB and gives it herself. If you do all the pump stuff for her then do the shots the same way. As an adult with T1 since my teens I say Kudos to you for giving her the time to try things out. Good luck.:)ali

15. buggle

buggle Approved members

We've taken one pump break after another -- and not usually wanted. We're having a STACK of OmniPod problems again. The last box is total crap. So, Brendan's new pod put on this morning already failed and he's back on MDI. We've been going back and forth the last few months, so we're sort of used to it now.

I'm sort of surprised how little Brendan minds getting shots -- even Lantus. After a while of MDI'ing (from a day to a week), he's willing to wear a pod again and if he has a good run and gets one through the whole three days, then he's more willing to use his pump for a while. But when he has multiple pod failures, he gets sick of it and refuses to wear the pump. So, we've been going back and forth between pumping and MDI a ton. When we first started having pod issues, we'd been pumping continuously for over a year, so it felt weird to go back to shots. But you get the hang of it pretty easily. If you don't have too much trouble with it and Kaylee likes it, maybe you can let Kaylee have breaks fairly often for a few days.

16. momof2here

momof2here Approved members

good luck!

Wow Kim - I admire your willingness to listen to your daughter and do this very challenging arrangement per her wishes! I would hope that I could also do that, if my son expressed that desire. I just wanted to chime in and wish you luck that it will go well enough that she is grateful for the experience but hope that if pumping is the best thing for her, she will return to that in short order.

These devices are so invaluable to us, I can only imagine, with great angst, how it would be to be without one for any period.

Best of luck....

17. Flutterby

She's never ever done her own shot, but she does enter in her information into the pump. I think we WILL try and let her do a shot, I'm sure it won't be easy for her though.

At first my husband said no way to this whole idea but as we talked about I pointed out to him that she needs to have SOME control over something. Taking insulin isn't an option, but how she gets it CAN be an option, for a bit of time, anyway. I'm really hoping she sees the freedom and management the pump gives her as a huge benefit. Along with a bit O' bribery for a new pretty pump pouch. ;)

18. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

Sorry to hear this. I would probably feel the same way as you. I guess we've gone back to shots a couple times in 3 years, but it never lasted more than a day or so. I guess all you can do is stay flexible and roll with it, just like you doing.

I did want to mention that we were able to switch to Omnipod while still under a pump warranty. It is a special program Omnipod has - you pay $200 out of pocket for the pdm and then they bill your insurance for the pods only. Most plans see it as a supply change and not a pump purchase. We were able to do this even though we are in warranty with our Minimed. I hope that doesn't sound too much like a sales pitch - it's not meant to be, just pointing out an option you may not know about. She would still have to deal with the devices though so I don't know how much that helps you!

I hope things go well!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  19. clb1968

clb1968 Approved members

I am on a short pump break(hopefully) I got a motor error earlier this evening on my pump, so now I am waiting for another to get here by 10:30 tomorrow, so I am on shots, I can sleep tonight without having to wear my pump. I am just doing shots of Novolog, so testing alot, if the pump does not get here in the morning, then I will have to get some Lantus, I have a script on file so not a problem and friends that will give me a bottle (I have no insurance so would have to pay full price, yikes!)
    I have had enough of shots tonight, not even sure how to eat, worried about stacking insulin and going low, this diabetes is just not FUN!

20. lynn

lynn Approved members

We've had several mini pump vacations. Some due to pump failures and some due to Nathan being sick of the pump. My experience is HORRIBLE numbers. I'm sure if we stuck with it for more than two days things would even out some but doing it for a day or two here and there just doesn't work well with his numbers.

The thing that makes me keep saying, "Yes" is how happy Nathan is during the vacations. He rubs his tummy and says how nice it feels to not have a pump pouch on. He takes a shot when he eats and says how it is great not having to get his pump out and hand it to me. He tells me that he feels very free without his pump. Then he gets it out of his system and is bad to using and loving his pump.

I hope yours and Kaylee's weekend goes well and she can feel the freedom that a life with shots can give her.