- advertisement -

T1D Camp: Second Time Around

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by rgcainmd, Jul 7, 2015.

1. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

My almost-13-year-old daughter is away at Gales Creek Camp again. It's been interesting to have this time to reflect on the differences (a whole) 1 + 1/2 years makes on this journey...

RE T1D camp itself: although I was by no means freaking out about my daughter being at camp without her Dexcom last year (Gales Creek, like many other T1D camps, does not allow CGMs), I'm finding that I am less bothered by Tiki going Dexcom-less this time around. Am I thrilled that she'll be running high much of the time for almost a week? (Gales Creek doesn't encourage between-meal testing and correcting of highs and purposely slightly under-doses for carbs to prevent lows.) Heck, no! But the sheer delicious bliss my daughter experiences being around her "own kind" 24/7 at camp more than makes up for this. And I rest easy knowing that she is in knowledgeable and responsible hands.

RE life with T1D in general: I hear Sarah Maddie's Mom's words in my head almost daily (Sarah may not be the first person ever to have said the following, but I first "heard" it from her): "LIFE WITH T1D IS NOT A RACE; IT'S A MARATHON." Sorry for the ALL-CAPS, but these are words of true wisdom that I'm learning to live by. While I have not become complacent about our never-ending spar with T1D, I now try to approach each day doing the absolute best I can (which has been rather tiring during our currently puberty-ridden roller coaster-y times) without worrying as much about the what-ifs. All we can do is our best, treat the number, move on, and keep putting one foot in front of the other over and over again.

In addition to going all philosophical on you, I just wanted to take the time to thank you all (even those parents with whom I don't exactly see eye-to-eye because you cause me to consider things I might not have otherwise) for always being here for my dear daughter and I. Because of you, I have never felt truly alone.

2. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

Hope she has a great week at camp!

3. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

Great attitude! :)

T1 camp is awesome if I do say so myself! I'm the nursing coordinator for one, have been for 7 or 8 years. LONG before I had a kid with T1D (Life is strange, huh). Next year she can come! And, I will feel totally safe with her there! We test the kids minimum of 6 times a day including midnight and 3am tests. And- the camaraderie that happens, the bonds and discussions that happen (especially amongst the tween/teen girls I find) is amazing! :)

Hope she has a blast

4. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

That is great to hear. My son is going for the second time this summer and he can't wait. Feels great to be with your tribe. I too would be annoyed (but understanding) about them running high all the time but it's worth it for the short duration.