advertisement

T1 student to travel to France

Discussion in 'Europe' started by maryellen816, Nov 20, 2010.

1. maryellen816

maryellen816 Approved members

My daughter will probably be traveling to France in June-July 2011 with a group of students to study French and live with a host family. They are required to speak only french from the time they land and will not have contact with home except in an emergency.

I have a million concerns but am trying to focus on the practical issues related to managing her d on her own. She will bring enough d supplies plus some extra to last the 8 weeks but if she were to need something - say her bag was stolen or something - how can she get insulin and syringes? Can she go to any pharmacy and pick it up or will she need to see a local doctor first for a prescription? Can an Rx from her doctor here be filled there?

What is Humalog called in France? Levemir? Glucagon?

Is there anything else we should know? Thanks so much.

2. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I think the easiest way to find out is to contact the D association there:

ASSOCIATION FRANCAISE DES DIABETIQUES
    88, rue de la Roquette
    75544 PARIS Cedex 11
    T?l. : 01 40 09 24 25
    Fax : 01 40 09 20 30
    Mail: afd@afd.asso.fr

(ETA: to call there, I think you have to dial 011 (int'l) 33 (for France) then the numbers above (without the 0), but probably easier to send an e-mail)

As to Levemir, Humalog and Glucagon, they are called the same.

I do not think an US rx is valid in France, but not sure. Does your endo have any contact endos in France? I would think the typical travel letter would be enough to go into a local hospital and get checked out and given a local rx.

Maybe the ADA can help you as well?

3. maryellen816

Thank you for your information and suggestions.

I meant to write Novolog, not Humalog. Is Novolog called Novorapid there?

4. StillMamamia

Where I am, which is next to France, we call it Novorapid, but I am sure they'll know what it is if you say Novolog.

5. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I think it's Novorapid throughout Europe.

Levemir and Glucagon are, I'm pretty sure, the same.

You might also want to be aware that (I think throughout Europe, although someone correct me if I'm wrong) we work in mmol/l, which is mg/dl divided by 18.

6. StillMamamia

Good point. I don't know what they use in France. Over here we work with mg/dl.

7. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Oh, that's interesting. I was under the impression that it was pretty much just the US who used mg/dl, but maybe we in the UK are in the minority.

8. StillMamamia

Let me check and see if the French D association has a forum, to see if people post in mg/dl or mmol/l.

BRB

ETA - Ummm, I didn't find a forum. But I saw BGs referred to as g/l (???).

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  9. emm142

emm142 Approved members

10. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

I hope she has a great time. I did a 7 week backpacking trip throughout Europe after I graduated from college and I had a blast. I echo the advice of others - take more supplies that she'll need and split them up between at least her carry on and her checked luggage. If I remember correctly, you don't need a script for insulin in France. If you ask at the pharmacy, you can pay out of pocket for a vial. I got a fresh vial of Novorapid during my trip because I was worried that my Novolog in a Frio pack was getting too warm. In her case, since she's staying with a host family, that shouldn't be a problem. Let me know if you have other questions. I spent 3 weeks in France during the trip.

11. maryellen816

It probably doesn't matter whether she uses mg/dl or not since she is the only one who will know her numbers. But I will make sure that she knows there are 2 ways of measuring and that probably France uses the same method as here.

I figured that she would be able to buy insulin without a prescription there if she needed to so thanks for confirming that.

I plan to call Minimed as the time gets closer to see if she can get a backup pump and to find out how she can get replacement pump supplies shipped to her over there if she needed to.

My husband and I took a trip to Paris and Toulouse France about 8 years ago and she has wanted to go there ever since. She is smart and a good problem-solver and already has a good grasp of the language. I know she will be fine... I keep telling myself.

12. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Yeah, the reason I originally said about BG measurements was mostly in case she had to buy a new meter for some reason when she was out there.

Whereabouts in France is she going? Just wondering.. my father's family are French and live out there and I spent a lot of my childhood in France, in the South. It's a really lovely place. I bet your daughter can't wait. :cwds:

13. maryellen816

Emm, good point about if she had to buy a meter over there - I don't know why I didn't think of that. If she lost her bags, then the 3 basic things she would need to buy are meter, syringes and insulin.

Are syringes the same? Is a unit of insulin the same?

If accepted, she will have a choice of 3 locations - Saumur, St. Brieuc, or Brest. She is leaning toward Saumur. None are in the south, but are you familiar with any of them?

14. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I'm not sure that I've been to Saumur, but we definitely went on vacation to that area when I was younger. I remember it being really lovely; I'm sure she'll have a great time. :)

I would imagine that a unit of insulin is the same everywhere, as long as the insulin is 100U/ml.