advertisement

t:slim X2 for a 6-year old

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Portabella, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Portabella

Portabella Approved members

Hi everyone,
    We are in the process of choosing a new pump for our 6-year old son, and we are considering t:slim X2 with an integrated CGM, but I have a question:
    When he sleeps at night, and the pump is on him, how do I hear the CGM alarms? Does it work with Android phones? If so, how far does my phone have to be away from his pump for me to hear alarms at night?
    Also, do you disconnect it every 5 days just to charge it? How fast does it charge?
    Thank you in advance!

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We upgraded to the X2 when the G5 integration was released in anticipation of the low glucose predictive suspend for college. We've had nothing but frustrations that so much of the time, the pump will read her but not her phone, but sometimes it's the phone and not the pump. She switched to her pod (cut-the-cord) when the frustration got high enough. We like Share for the nighttime back-ups, and it felt as if we went backwards years in technology rather than further when we couldn't count on Share. However, once LGPS is released and she's no longer at home, that low avoidance will trump Share and she'll be back on the t-slim....unless the pod has OpenAps or Loop by then. That would be her first preference: no tubing and closed loop.

The X2 does not have the same alarms as the G5 system. There's no attentive, which is what we use. The beeps are quiet and not very audible under bed covers. I didn't hear them, and my deep-sleeping teen most certainly did not.

The battery life is shorter on the X2, probably because of the amount of alarms that are slept through. We did have one replaced, though, as it was going dead within hours.

3. Andrews mom

Andrews mom Approved members

We just got my daughter, age 8, on the tslim this past October. Our son is 17 and has been pumping with medtronic since he was 5 years old. Tslim was a learning curve that is for sure! I personally love how light and small it seems compared to the revel.
    We got our daughter an iPhone and then have our phones follow (mine is an iPhone and my DH is an android so yes, it does read to those) but if you are planning on having your phone be the main phone for reading her numbers, it will have to be in the same room for it to read the best. The volume for the alarms is then the volume you have your phone set at, so yes, if you turn the volume on your phone all the way up, the alarm will be loud. For the pump itself, we keep hers on vibrate and if you don’t respond to it, it will then start beeping and if you keep ignoring, for us, it is very loud and I definitely jump out of bed!! We have had no problems with alarms being too quiet. We have had no problems with the dexcom reading to her pump and phone at the same time. I love that when she is at school or at a friends, we know her numbers. I wish they had this technology when our son was little.
    We love the tslim and it’s a great pump for her. Any other questions, please let me know :)

Oh- battery life, we charge hers weekly I would say. It does get to be around 20% before we charge it sometimes. We have never had problems with it, it will alert you to say it’s getting too low and charge soon if you forget. I found that charging it on the computer is slower than just plugging it into the wall so that’s what we do. I would guess about 20 minutes for a low battery to full.

4. Portabella

Thank you so much for your answers!
    The other pump that our Dr. recommended is Omnipod.
    Still thinking

5. MomofSweetOne

Do you know about Cut-the-cord (or whatever it might be called now?) It's for users of tubed pumps. You can buy the pdm for the pod out of pocket and then have it as a back-up pump for swimming, etc. That's why we got it: our Medtronic had died at a really bad time and we didn't want to use Lantus with its added complications with dosing adjustments. My daughter likes having both. She switches back and forth as she gets frustrated with them - and diabetes - as opposed to taking a pump break. Lantus stung her for 24 hours, and she has zero interest in taking it again.

Honestly, there are things we like and dislike about both. Likes for tslim are the touch screen, 250% temp basals, temp basals that can last 72 hours. Negative is the fill process. Positives for the pod are no tubing and multiple basal profiles. Negatives are having to find the pdm to eat, 12 hour temp basals, and a horrible alarm reminding you to check bg 1.5 hours after a pod change. We see pod-change highs frequently, even with dosing with a change.

Benefit of switching between is the backup pump, greater rotation of sites (pod is on arms, tslim on legs and butt).

Her favorite and least favorite switch back & forth. She really likes having the cgm on the pump but not losing Share. There were too many nights I didn't hear alarms she was sleeping through, and she felt cruddy waking up high. I'm glad the LGPS is supposed to be out soon. We'll both sleep better with her away.

6. MomofSweetOne

7. Portabella

Is there a way to use tslim AND dexcom receiver at the same time? I'm just worried not to see his numbers at night under the blankets.

8. Portabella

Never mind, I already found out that no.

Where can I find a list of smart devices that work with t:slim x2?

9. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

With a Dexcom G5 basically you need at least one smart phone for the person sharing their data. We use an iPhone and it works fine alongside the X2. There are also a number of android devices that Dexcom works with (be careful choosing an Android phone, it seems Dexcom has to certify individual phones/brands to work with their technology).

You can find older models of an iphone pretty cheap on Craigslist, and even new iphone se's are relatively inexpensive

I get the fact that means a 6 year old now has a smart phone, but really that is the way to go.

Once the data flows through the smartphone you would then have other options for you to be able to see that data. But it starts with a cell phone for the person who has T1D.

http://www.nightscout.info/

Of course you can also get a cell phone and "follow" the numbers with the software Dexcom provides.If you have wifi in your home you do not need a cell plan, but that data is worth every penny.

10. Portabella

I just got it to work on my Android phone!

sszyszkiewicz likes this.
  11. Dad_in_Canada

Dad_in_Canada Approved members

I'm wondering what would prevent using an X2 *and* a Dexcom G5 stand-alone receiver? The G5 transmitter would simply send data to both devices. You'd have to calibrate both the X2 and the Dexcom receiver, but I can't see why it wouldn't work.

We use the Animas Vibe (integrated Dexcom G4) and a stand-alone Dexcom G4 receiver. Works great. The stand-alone receiver is in our room at night, while the Vibe is attached to DS in his room.

12. Portabella

That's great if that works too. We have a stand-alone receiver and Animas Ping now. I just read it on the Tandem website that the Dexcom G5 Mobile CGM transmitter can only be paired with one medical device (either a Dexcom receiver or t:slim X2 Pump) and one consumer device

13. Portabella

Another question about both X2 and Omnipod:
    Do you see the BG readings when screen is locked, or to you have to unlock screen every time you want to see BG?
    Thank you!

14. Just Jen

Just Jen Approved members

We hook up to an iPhone and the receiver with the G5. Generally, not at the same time, except for a short overlap time to allow them to sink up. The iPhone is shut off and charges at night and the receiver is kept in my room by the door resting against a cold air return so that it vibrates quite loudly. In the morning, I turn on the iPhone and set it next to the receiver until they sink together and then hit shutdown (not stop sensor!) on the receiver. We only calibrate on the iPhone. We had problems with being really off a while back, and Dexcom said to only calibrate on one of the devices. Now, we don't have a connected TSlim, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

15. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

This is exactly what we do. The readings are sent to his phone (and my phone) and the Dex receiver. There's no advantage for us to have them sent to his pump.