- advertisement -

T:Slim Users - Warning!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by lmf1122, Nov 8, 2013.

1. lmf1122

lmf1122 Approved members

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this, but last night at around 1 am, I woke up and looked at the Dexcom and noticed DD's BG was rising. Figuring it was due to the lasagna she had for dinner, I set a temp basal and tested and corrected.

When I bolused, I could smell insulin, so I checked to make sure the luer lock connection was tight and realized that the cartridge tubing (the tubing that runs from the cartridge to the luer lock connector) had come detached at the luer lock connector.

I had just replaced the cartridge and tubing on Tuesday and DD wears her pump in a SPIbelt so there is not a lot of stress or tension on the tubing. I opened a new cartridge from the same lot and tugged at it and it seemed tight in the connector, so it seems that we had a defective cartridge.

When I called Tandem this morning to report it, they said that, while not common, they have received other reports of this happening.

Luckily, I caught it early and was able to replace the cartridge and tubing right away. It's scary to think what may have happened if we didn't have CGM or didn't check on her last night.

2. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I'm curious if your cartridge was new or old, as in did you have it from a box sitting around or one you had just received?

We had this happen one time too (while on vacation, of course!), but once we did some digging I figured out it was from an older box I had from when we first started, in fact they were given to us to supplement our supply. I was told that there were some older lots that had this problem and they had changed the design.

It's not happened again, and we've not used the rest of those samples.

3. lmf1122

lmf1122 Approved members

DD just started using the t:slim in August, so the cartridges were only a month or two old (exp 9/2015).

4. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

Wow - crazy! Thanks for the heads up. Thank goodness insulin has such a strong and distinct smell . . . and lucky for you that your daughter needed a bolus at 1am.

5. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Same here actually, but when I reported in on the lot number we had, they had come from some sample supplies I was given, and were of an older lot that they no longer ship out. So it wasn't that they were "old" cartridges like I made it seem, but for us they were from a different supply.

Bummer that this is still happening, sure hope they figure it out.

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Whoops! Good to know! Thanks for posting this!

7. willie's mom

willie's mom Approved members

It is my understanding that other pump users could be using these same insets because they are not T-Slim specific-- so others may want to beware also. I'm not sure though.

8. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I'm not 100% sure, but it looks to me as if the defective part is the part attached to the cartridge, which would be t:slim specific.

9. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Having experienced this I can say with certainty it is Tslim specific issue. It has nothing to do with the site.

10. lmf1122

lmf1122 Approved members

Yes. it was the t:slim cartridge piece that was defective.

11. willie's mom

willie's mom Approved members

Thanks--old age :eek: couldn't tell from the pircture the real problem

12. Brynn

Brynn Approved members

This happened to me also, sent me into DKA. However, I do have to say I do love t-slims customer service, at least when I was using their product.

13. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I know this is an age old post, but my friend (adult T1, new to pumping) called me because her BG's have been high, she's swapped the set out with no improvement. She off handedly mentioned that she smells insulin, her clothes smell of insulin, but there is no sign of leakage.

Any thoughts? I told her call T-Slim ASAP to report and hopefully they can trouble shoot.

14. Ali

Ali Approved members

Agree call T-slim. They may blow her off, but then she changes everything and if it continues the next time she calls they pay attention. If she had a really good endo team I would say go see them asap but truly most ends just do not see enough patients to have enough experience with stuff like this. Ali