advertisement

T Slim question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Ali, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Ali

Ali Approved members

Grown up here but this area gets the most reads. I have used a Medtronic pump and CGMS for ever. Was planning on switching to the T Slim and Dexcom system in the next few months, however in reading some of the fine print I am wondering if I will be able to update to the modified AP system that Tandem is working on for the low suspend option and maybe an even more integrated AP system in the next few years.Th
    e fine print says I have free upgrades through 2018 but then what?? Does anyone know if they will just charge for new software upgrades or if a more comprehensive AP system will involve getting a new pump? I will contact tomorrow to ask directly but if anyone already knows the answer please chime in.

2. Mimikins

Mimikins Approved members

I'm not sure. From prior experiences with Tandem, they provided free software updates for some of the oldest pump models to have some of their newer software (reverse corrections, changes in how you prime a cartridge). They also provided free G5 integration updates for people with the X2 pump and gave everyone without the X2 pump the opportunity to purchase an X2 pump for a discount (I did not exchange for an X2, as my warranty will be up in a few months).

Hardware wise, the X2 should be good for a while, as it seems like Tandem's upcoming features will be bluetooth based. When I was also reading the fine print, I assumed that any software upgrades after 2018 might not be free. If I'm remembering their pipeline correctly, they want to have the predicted low glucose suspend released by the end of 2018, but I'm not sure in their hybrid closed-loop system would be considered a "free" update or if it will come at a cost.

3. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

I am in the same situation. We are Animas users now, but my daughter wants to switch to T-Slim when her warranty is up in March. I have debated whether we should wait. I understand that there will probably be a fee for upgrade after 2019. I am sure it will not be free, which makes sense, but I wish I had an idea of what that fee might be. $600 is one thing, $6,000 is another.

4. Stacey Nagel

Stacey Nagel Approved members

my son is using the newest TSlim x2 since august
    when his older one broke, before he got the new one, they gave him an X2..
    I guess thats all they had??
    the customer service is phenomenal

5. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Thus far the updates have been free, as will be the Low Glucose Predictive Suspend that supposed to be out in the next few months. Beyond that? It could be different since the closed loop is a joint venture with Type Zero.

One of our biggest concerns with switching to T-slim was whether it would be as durable as the Medtronic. It's much better. We returned the first one three weeks in because it wouldn't recognize a cartridge and then had no further problems until her first X2 wouldn't hold a battery charge for more than a few hours. But, other than those, it has been terrific. I think we had a different Medtronic pump every year for various reasons, from broken case to malfunctioning plunger if I remember correctly.

6. Ali

Ali Approved members

I did speak with someone yesterday.Thank you everyone. Of course check yourself but my understanding was free upgrades through 2018 and then a charge, but in hundreds not thousands to upgrade software, but again nothing in writing. Also I was told the newest T-slim that I am looking at ordering will be upgradeable to an AP system. Again, it could change, but it would make sense. One of the reasons I wanted to switch to the T Slim was for the ability to upgrade the AP system as it is tweaked. However I am guessing at some point, like most electronic devices, I will need a new pump to utilize the latest system. I do wish they had a smaller cartridge size.

7. MomofSweetOne

I agree with you about the upgrades, though I doubt they will be as frequent as the improvements with OpenAps and Loop since they will have to get FDA approval with all the involved testing costs. I'm hearing that the open stuff is 6-7 years ahead of the commercial systems?

Do be warned that the cartridge system on the T-slim eats an enormous amount of insulin during the fill process; you may want to ask for you script to be increased. The fill process is really tedious, but I do like knowing there are safeguards against overdosing due to malfunctions.

8. Ali

Ali Approved members

Thank you for the information. I am not understanding why I would use more insulin with the cartridge fill system. I did go and actually read the process as outlined in the TSlim brochure...it seems complicated compared to the Medtronic. Ughhh.

9. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

It's funny, but we've had the complete opposite experience. I don't know that we ever had to replace his Medtronic pump, and I bet we've had at least one t:slim failure a year since we've had it. (Three times it stopped recognizing a full cartridge and once he dropped it on a tile floor.)

To the OP, the cartridge fill procedure is a little fussier than the Medtronic, but it's not terrible. In all other respects, it really has a much nicer user interface.

10. Ali

Ali Approved members

Thank you hawkeyegirl for your response. One more question. I was not going to get the stand alone receiver for the Dexcom as I would never not be using my pump. Am I missing any possible reason to get the receiver when I first order the Dex system?

11. MomofSweetOne

We have not upgraded to the G5 receiver since she has both the pump and her pump to read her. The receiver and pump can't read at the same time, anyway, and since the pump is connected to her....

She switched back to the T-slim last week, and thus far, we've having much better success with both the pump and cgm reading her than before.

I realized yesterday how easy it is to take the new technologies for granted. I so wouldn't want to go back to where things were a mere 7 years ago! Three cheers for all the parents and others who have forced the increased speed of technology improvements and FDA approvals.

rgcainmd likes this.