- advertisement -

T slim insulin pump

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mysweetwill, Jan 5, 2012.

1. mysweetwill

mysweetwill Approved members

We are two months in and beginning our pump education classes at our endo's office next week. I believe they educate us about the Medtronic, Animas and omnipod but I have read about the new T Slim and wonder what you more seasoned folks think about it.

http://www.tandemdiabetes.com/products/t-slim/

Any thoughts?

2. betty6333

betty6333 Approved members

I had heard that it was approved in november, but am unaware of it being available on the market.

Is this available for sale? my biggest concern would be the customer service. 4 years with any device and I would want to know that they can stand by their product.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

4. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I don't like touch screens on cell phones, never mind an insulin pump.

5. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I'm an adult, and while it looks cool, my pumps have historically taken beatings. My iPhone stays in my purse for this reason. My pump hit the driveway just the other day when I bent over and it flew off my pants into a pile of snow. A pump this fragile looking scares me.

6. lisamustac

lisamustac Approved members

I agree with this. The other day my 4 year old comes out of the bathroom with pump wet "mommy my pump fell in the toilet" :eek: yup things happen. I would stick with a company I was sure would stand behind their product. Like another poster said its a 4 year commitment.

7. mysweetwill

mysweetwill Approved members

Thanks everyone, I imagine anything in my 10 yr old's care will take a beating. I also had no idea that a pump is a 4 yr commitment, does that vary by insurance company? Makes the decision that much more difficult.

8. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Insurance companies pay for a new pump when the warranty runs out and something is wrong with the pump. Most warranties are up in 4 years. Sometimes it takes longer before something goes wrong with the pump.

It is a big time consideration.

You can make any of the pumps work for you for four years.

9. Ali

Ali Approved members

It looks a bit more fragile but I am guessing it is just as sturdy as the other pumps except you might want to use a screen saver with it. My first thought was have they developed a clip to use with it. I use the small clip that MM sells and just wear mine hooked to waists and pockets. I would need a clip. It does look neat. I think I would need to really touch and play with it a bit to see if it was ago for me. ali

10. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

I would be hesitant to choose a pump that my endo's office was not familiar with.

11. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I would be interested in it, provided that it had a 4 year warranty and they could guarantee fast (overnight) replacements if it was damaged. I'm not too rough on my pumps - they probably hit the floor less frequently than my phone if only because they're attached to me! And my endo team aren't really familiar with pumps at all, I'm pretty much self-trained, so that wouldn't be too much of an issue even if it were my first pump.

12. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I would choose a new endo before I let their own unfamiliarity dictate my choice of pump.

13. mylemonadelife

mylemonadelife Approved members

I really like what I am seeing in some areas of this pumps design, but wouldn't be able to make the switch without a cgms. Also charging the battery every week could be a hassle.

14. Stacey Nagel

Stacey Nagel Approved members

i disagree...
    Jesse chose a Cozmo pump 8 1/2 years ago...
    was the first in the practice to do so....
    and although its not being made anymore-
    he's still using it...
    and loving it....