advertisement

T:slim fail...has this happened often to others?

Discussion in 'Parents of College Kids and Young Adults with Type' started by obtainedmist, Sep 28, 2015.

1. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Hi All,
    I have a quick T:slim question. 22 y/o daughter had a pump fail early this am in Prague, 2 hours away from her apt. The code she got was ominous and when I called Tandem they told us that the software and hardware weren't communicating and so the pump's kill switch was activated. How often has this happened to anyone here? Of course, her loaner pump was also 2 hours away and she didn't have any syringes with. Good to know that they sell syringes in the Czech Republic without a prescription! Anyway, she's had the pump for 1 year and I'm a bit freaked out about it. She did have 3 replacements for her Ping, but it was operational until she got the replacement. I thought I'd just ask...to make me feel better if this hasn't been an issue with many! Thanks!

2. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

Just one person here, but my daughter is still using the pump she received just over 2 years ago. She's never had any problems at all.

3. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

I've never had a problem like the one you are describing but we've had replacements. My daughter is 2 years in and is on her 4th. One was a cracked screen, one could only be operated when it was plugged in (we just used a battery pack) and one had a cartridge error. For something that needs to be accurate, gets used 24x7 and which never gets a break, I'm happy with the pump. We also had replacements on the Medtronic and the OmniPod. In fact, DS just got a new PDM this week. And our Dexcom replacements are crazy - it's been 2.5 years and DS is on his 5th receiver and DD is on her 10th. We have the old pumps as backups so we just pack them when we travel. We've never gone to MDI while waiting on a pump replacement, so that probably makes it so much easier.

4. obtainedmist

Thanks for all the replies! It makes me feel better to know this isn't a common problem. She has had the pump for one year. The t:slim people are sending us another loaner pump to take back with her after her visit in December. They are great!

5. caspi

caspi Approved members

Of course something like this happens when she's not only out of the country but also 2 hours from where she's staying. :wink: I'm on the Tandem FB board and have never seen this come up so hopefully it's just a one time fluke. I'm uber paranoid that something is going to go wrong since we had so many issues with the Omnipod so my son always carries a few syringes in his meter case. Glad she was able to find some to purchase over the counter!

6. obtainedmist

Our daughter isn't paranoid enough! This was enough of an inconvenience for her that she says she'll be more prepared in the future! I was thrilled a few years back when she told us that T1D was a "minor hassle" in her life...and this incident proves there is a downside to her easy-going approach! Thankfully, she learns most from her mistakes...so in the end it was a valuable flat tire, so to speak! :victorious:

7. GChick

GChick Approved members

I have actually had to have my pump replaced already due to not being able to turn on the screen without a power supply (I also just used a battery pack). I am slightly disappointed as well with how "un-durable" the pump seems to be compared to its own marketing of it.... Having said that though, I certainly still wouldn't trade it for any of the others on the market right now.

I think I'm just the right amount of paranoid to the point that I "usually" have a backup plan, but one that creates the least amount of hassle for me on a day to day basis.

What that means is I always have an extra humalog pen in the fridge at work and a set in my desk drawer.... Something I did once and never have to concern myself with cept for maybe once a year replacing it with a new one. I can't do a complete change with these supplies, but if something happens it can see me through till the end of the day.

On vacations I always have one lantus pen and one extra (not intended for pump filling) humalog pen in my suitcase. I'll carry the humalog pen around with me in my purse... Just in case, but leave the lantus at "home" to avoid bulk.

Other than that, I carry no "walking around" supplies in my day to day life... Because the rare times something major enough happens, I can make my way home soon enough to sort it out.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  8. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

Our tslim had the same power button issue.

9. obtainedmist

Molly's backup plan usually involves always having her current bottle of insulin, an extra cartridge and fill needle and an extra infusion set. The issues she's had to deal with up to now are needing to switch out an infusion set or put in a new cartridge of insulin. She just wasn't thinking of a backup for a pump fail away from her loaner pump! From now on, when she travels a few hours away from home I'm hoping she'll take a Levemir pen (her insurance won't accept Lantus any more:mad:) some pen needles and some regular needles for the humalog. Live and learn!

10. Stacey Nagel

Stacey Nagel Approved members

well, my son Jesse, now 23 has been pumping with a tslim for 3 years... is on number 5?
    He's just "The Pumpslayer"/
    went trough at leat 15 Cozmo pumps in 6 years.
    they just die on him..
    I'm convinced that his body emits an electrical charge that kills them, sorta like some people kill watches??

11. caspi

caspi Approved members

"The Pumpslayer"! Too funny!!! :smile:

12. Mo1

Mo1 Approved members

We have been pumping with T Slim for about 18 months with no problem.