advertisement

T-1 in Italy

Discussion in 'Europe' started by obtainedmist, Jan 3, 2011.

1. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Hi,
    a friend's daughter will be in Rome for 5 months. Would she be able to buy insulin there (Novolog) for her pump. Would she need a prescription and is it 100 or 40 strength there? Her insurance will only let her get 3 months in advance and I was hoping to save her the out of pocket amount for the extra vials by suggesting the option of buying it there.
    Thanks so much!

2. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

Similar-ish thread about studying abroad in Rome.

http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=47539

I'm not sure if she would need a script for getting insulin in Rome or not - in many European countries you can pay for insulin over the counter without a script. I was able to do that while backpacking in France.

FYI: NovoLog is called NovoRapid in the rest of the world.

3. obtainedmist

Thanks, I did read that thread before. I'll let her know that her daughter might be able to buy the novorapid over the counter in Italy. Do you remember if it was very expensive in France? Did you need a script or a travel letter in order to purchase. What goes in France might not go in Italy, though.

Thanks again for the reply!

4. obtainedmist

Sorry, I saw that you didn't need a script:rolleyes:

5. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

Nope no script, I don't remember the price, but I don't remember it being outrageous.