- advertisement -

Sypmtoms of low but high????

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by curediabetes14, Jun 17, 2010.

1. curediabetes14

curediabetes14 Approved members

My daughter has been trending high over the past several nights her doctors directed me to change her overnight basal amounts. I went in to check on her at 4:00am this morning and she was sitting up in her bed shaking. I just knew that her sugar would be low. She had that glassy eyed stare and was shaking like a leaf. I checked her sugar twice with both readings in the 330's. I could not believe that she was high. I would have bet money that she was low.

Have your kids ever done this?

2. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

How did she wake up?

Maybe she did go low and rebounded.

Maybe she is feverish?

Maybe she had a nightmare?

In any case, I would do extra overnight testing following the basals changes for the next couple of days and refer back to the endo if you find any unusual stuff.

ETA - forgot to answer your question. Sorry! Our son will sometimes say he is low, but his BG is ok, but not that high though. Sometimes he is just hungry also. I guess that feeling of dropping fast is like feeling hungry?

3. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Sometimes I think I've become aware of hypos again - I feel that shakiness and get a bit excited that I might actually be able to feel it when I'm low :eek: and then test to see a 250. Highs sometimes just make me a bit shaky / dizzy.

However, with the symptoms you describe, especially since you'd just raised basals, I'm thinking it COULD have been a rebound. Would you be able to post overnight and bedtime numbers from the past 2 or 3 days?

ETA: From what you described I'm not sure, but your daughter's symptoms sound a little bit like my sister when she's having a night terror.. She is sweaty, her heart beats really fast, and sits bolt upright with her eyes open, and sometimes she's shaky. However, she always screams when she has one and also starts crying.