advertisement

Synthroid and Severe Insulin Resistance

Discussion in 'Thyroid and Other Autoimmunity' started by jpb286, Jun 21, 2007.

1. jpb286

jpb286 Approved members

Well, this just sucks. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism with a TSH of 6.0, but it explains why I have felt tired as hell for the last year. Anyhow.....

Since I started taking synthroid a couple days ago, my insulin requirements have tripled. I am using a BASAL RATE of 4.1 units/hr, and CORRECTION FACTOR of 1u/20mgdl>120, and a CARB RATIO of 1:8. I only weigh 140lbs. I am using close to 180-200 units a day of Apidra now. This is just berserk.

Prior to starting synthroid, I was averaging TDD of around 90-100 units/day, highest basal was 1.7u/hr. Now up to 4.1u/hr and BG's still running 170-200 consistently.

Help???

2. kevin@diabetech.net

kevin@diabetech.net Approved members

I'm not aware of what the research says about this but logically, your body is now able to function thanks to the synthroid and now it requires a corresponding increase in glucose to provide you with the energy levels that you previously did not have.

3. jpb286

jpb286 Approved members

Even so, neither I nor my MD believe I should be taking the same amount of insulin as someone who weighs 575lbs. I am going to have both a blood cortisol and a 24-hour urine cortisol test done to check for Cushing's Syndrome/Hypercortisolemia.

Interestingly enough, I just had an MRI of the head done, but pituitary tumors can be imperceptably small and hard to find on MRI/Head CT, yet they can severely disrupt insulin/glucose regulation. I will get a copy of the films myself and look hard(since I am trained to read them).

I am taking 200+ units of insulin with >100u of Basal, and still have BG's CONSISTENTLY 180-260... Aarrgh... this is so irritating. I was hypothyroid with nice BGs and good A1c, now I am "regulated" with horrible BGs and an A1c that Im sure has now gone to hell and a handbasket.

4. jpb286

jpb286 Approved members

Even so, neither I nor my MD believe I should be taking the same amount of insulin as someone who weighs 575lbs. I am going to have both a blood cortisol and a 24-hour urine cortisol test done to check for Cushing's Syndrome/Hypercortisolemia.

Interestingly enough, I just had an MRI of the head done, but pituitary tumors can be imperceptably small and hard to find on MRI/Head CT, yet they can severely disrupt insulin/glucose regulation. I will get a copy of the films myself and look hard(since I am trained to read them).

I am taking 200+ units of insulin with >100u of Basal, and still have BG's CONSISTENTLY 180-260... Aarrgh... this is so irritating. I was hypothyroid with nice BGs and good A1c, now I am "regulated" with horrible BGs and an A1c that Im sure has now gone to hell and a handbasket.

5. momx2withdiabetes

momx2withdiabetes Approved members

Maybe this explains why my daughters a1c was 9 . She has type one , celiac and hashimotos sydrome. Ugghhh She is only seven and could also be growing. Interesting

6. yeswe'rebothD

yeswe'rebothD Approved members

Paul, what did you ever find out? Was this temporary? How've you been, I haven't seen you here in ages.

7. jpb286

jpb286 Approved members

This was temporary, I am back down to my "usual" 3.0 u/hr. :)

8. Bartook

Bartook New Member

Grrrr

I have the same issue and my doctor swears that this cannot be related to Synthroid.:mad: Does anybody have some advice to give me?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  9. Bartook

Bartook New Member

I have since changed back to Levothyroxine.

The generic version of the drug has all of the benefits and none of the side effects. SYNTHROID is dangerous, please beware.

10. Victoria!

Victoria! Approved members

As a fellow Hashimoto's sufferer (TSH at dx 155...yes 155 not a typo) I would urge anyone who has this to look into naturethroid or westhroid. Both of these are WAY better than synthroid. Many Dr's do not like the variation of dose you get in porcine thyroid, however the lack of symptoms while on it should be enough to persuade them.

A great resource is www.stopthethyroidmadness.com

Hope this helps.