- advertisement -

Symphony CGM

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by maddiesdad, Aug 9, 2011.

1. maddiesdad

maddiesdad Approved members

This is not FDA approved yet but they released a video of the transdermal CGM today on their website. I have high hopes for this device:

http://www.echotx.com/

2. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

Wow..how exciting. I was just at the CWD conference where they talked about implanted sensors that have been designed but not brought to market because no company has shown interest. Obviously, not as much money in that as in charging $1 per test strip.
    At least this is a step in the right direction.

3. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Sounds awesome! Can't help but think about the cost, if each sensor only lasts for 24 hours, but even if it was totally unaffordable something like this would be a massive step.

4. selketine

selketine Approved members

The video says it is measuring interstitial fluid but how does it do that exactly? Is there any part of it that penetrates the skin?

A 24 hour use disposable system would be great - all cost considerations aside. It would probably be less difficult to keep on for such a short time.

5. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Since it's needle free, I wonder if it's like that glucowatch that was out in 2002. It also measured interstitial fluids by somehow "pulling" them out of the skin. Carson had the glucowatch and it was completely inaccurate and caused horrible rashes and burning on his skin. But maybe this company has figured out how to deal with those problems. Hope so!

6. selketine

Yeah - I immediately thought of the glucowatch and what a failure that was.

7. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I'm becoming so jaded. I can't help but feel that this is yet another great prototype that we will never actually see come to market. :(

8. selketine

I feel jaded too at times but I think of some parents on here with kids dx'd 20+ years ago and how much things have changed - those parents would have given a lot to have the tools we have.

Even if this stupid thing takes 10 years to come out - that's still better than never. I figure the cgms wasn't really around when William was dx'd so I think even if it isn't this thing - it will be something better than what we got now.

9. hawkeyegirl

No, you're definitely right, Carol. We've been at this less than 4 years. I really shouldn't be so impatient. I just want so MUCH for things to improve so that it's easier for him once he has to take this all over. :(

10. selketine

I'm SUPER impatient to get access to at least what they sell overseas (the new Enlite, G4 and even the Navigator). I have sat on the fence with this Nav for a long time now hoping something would be released here since insurance only pays for a system once every 2 years.

I keep thinking I want something awesome out by the time he has to drive a car. The way the cgms is now, it is too much work for a young adult. Asking myself honestly if I'd want to wear it, I would probably say no. I probably would anyway but it seems much more complicated than pumping has been.

11. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I had to giggle at the point in the video where they say "echo is changing the paradigm of continuous monitoring"....

it looks like it has a large profile however if it's needle free and can be worn in lots of different locations that wouldn't really matter because you could easily hide it somewhere that wouldn't get bumped easily.

12. hawkeyegirl

Completely agree. It would be the rare college student that would put up with all of the BS involved with any of the current CGM systems. I know we always hear about how these companies have all of these T1 people working for them, but yet there seems to be a total disconnect between the people developing these products and the people who actually have to deal with the effing things. I mean, I LOVE the CGM, but I could make probably 10 super easy modifications to it that wouldn't involve ANY new technology other than what is already out there that would make it 100 times easier to use and wear.

What? You don't think that was a veiled reference to anything, do you? :p

13. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

nahhh......

14. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I have more hope for dexcom. When it was released it was called the Dexcom STS- short term sensor- because they were developing and fairly far along on an LTS that would be placed by a doctor and worn for six or more months at a time.
    But I'm not sure if they're still developing that.