- advertisement -

Swollen Lymph nodes

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Breah's Mom, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Breah's Mom

Breah's Mom Approved members

I was wondering if it was true that children with type 1 can have swollen lymph nodes more often related to the disease, since it is an autoimmune disease and lymph nodes are the filtration point for the body? My daughter who is five, has had multiple swollen lymph nodes on both sides of her neck for sometime now. They are mostly the size of peas and some are smaller. She says they don't hurt. She has also been having headaches, about 3-4 a month. They did sinus xrays and said she has sinusitis and put her on long term augmentin. She is on her second bottle of this. I'm a little concerned. Any thoughts? :(

2. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

If the lymph nodes are sizes of peas? I would think that would be normal size in child?
    and headache would be normal sideaffect of sinusitus

have you had a follow up with dr?

3. Breah's Mom

I put a call in on Thursday but with the holidays I was told I wouldn't get a call back until Monday (with her PCP, not endo). I would say she probably has at least 4-5 on each side of her neck.

4. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Kaylee has two rather large swollen lymph nodes on either side her neck.. they're always there.. regular ped said that sometimes with illness they enlarge and just don't go all the way back down.. and now, when she gets sick, they get larger, then go down to what they are now.

5. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

Emma had the same thing, and we finally had them biopsied and they were benign. But a year later came all the other autoiummune problems. My GUESS is that over-reactive lymph nodes MAY indicate other lurking autoimmune problems.

6. Breah's Mom

What other kind of autoimmune issues does your daughter have?

7. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

Boy, there's a hole with no bottom!

JRA, multiple-autoimmune disorder, Lupus, Crohn's antibodies, IgG/IgA problems etc., etc. Oh, and type 1 diabetes.

8. kyleesmom

kyleesmom Approved members

When I was a kid, my lymph nodes swelled and just continued to swell until I was admitted to the hospital because they were swelling off my throat. I was already on large amounts of oral antibiotics and was put on IV antibiotics, neither did much good. After a few days, they said if they didnt go down with this one last huge dose, they would have to surgically drain or remove them. The swelling started going down. They never did come up with a diagnosis or cause, but my lymph nodes have swelled off and on ever since, even if I wasnt sick. Their final decision was that for some reason, my lymph nodes filter and store instead of filter and clear. I look like Frankenstein for a little while, then its gone. I wonder now, since I have had a few of my lymph nodes removed due to thyroid cancer, if the swelling on at least the one side will stop.

Kylee's friend(who also had diabetes) had a small lump under her ear for a few months, looked like a pea under her skin. It was a little sore, but didnt really bother her. Her endo ran a bunch of tests on her and they put her on an antibiotic, which made it go down a little, but not completely. They decided to remove it and biopsy it, and it turned out to be a blocked salivary gland.