advertisement

Switching long acting insulin

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Artgirl, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Artgirl

Artgirl Approved members

My daughter was switched from 30 units of Lantus to 30 units of Tresiba every 12 hours. She has had horrible side effects from anxiety, heart racing, insomnia, and depression. She needs to go back to Lantus asap, is it ok to do the switch instantly. I tried calling and emailing her doctor with no replies. Must say transitioning to adult care has been awful and frustrating. Want my old girl back, she is 19 and has been on Tresiba for 5 months now. Also anyone have a bad reaction to tresiba?

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Obviously, you should confirm with her dr. but I don't see why you can't switch back to Lantus. Just be aware of the differences in duration of action and realize she may experience high or low blood glucose levels for a day. Those side effects sound pretty bad, sorry she (and you ) are going through that.

3. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Not to Tresiba, but to Apidra. It took us eight weeks to realize that was the cause because she'd had surgery at the same time as the switch. Once she switched from it to Novolog, the non-stop headache she'd had for weeks started to lift, and the extremely painful acne disappeared. I think it took about 36 hours for it to clear her system, or at least for the headache to be gone. She said there's no quality of life with it for her. It was rough.

I hope your daughter is feeling better now.

4. Artgirl

Artgirl Approved members

Decided to stop tresiba and switch back to Lantus. Within 24 hours she started feeling better. Brain fog lifting and sleeping through the night. These drugs are powerful and side effects do occur. She is not 100 percent yet but i am confident she will be in 2 weeks time. Thanks