- advertisement -

switching endos

Discussion in 'Parents of Teens' started by pianoplayer4, Jan 3, 2013.

Tags:
  1. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

I'm going to be turning 18 soon and will have to find a new endo (mine right now is a peds endo) just curious what you all would look for in an endo (this will be the first time that I'm endo 'shopping' cause we've been with this one since dx) I'm looking forward to someone new, but not sure what I'm looking for.

2. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

We will be in the same boat soon. Have you asked your current Endo if they can recommend anyone?

3. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

Ask your peds endo or someone on their staff for a recommendation.

4. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Can you stay with your endo until you are finished with college? I know my peds one would keep you until you wanted to switch. I changed just cause I was sick of how long you would have to wait to see the doctor/cde at the appointment (I am talking HOURS past the appointment time).

Anyway, I wanted an endo that is comfortable with new technology, willing to prescribe what I want even if he/she doesn't have much experience with it, willing to stretch appointments longer then every 3 months (I am only home twice a year and not coming home just for an endo appointment), and capable of getting along with my oncologist (that was difficult for one ex-endo of mine).

Here is a list of insulin pump friendly endos:
    It would seem to indicate that they have at least some experience with type 1 rather then mainly type 2.

http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/pumpdocs.cgi?country=United States&method=all

Good Luck!

5. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Our pedi endo will keep them until age 23, basically until after college. We're going to wait and see where he ends up going to college to make this decision. I'd rather he stay with his current practice but also need to look at practicality of coming here for appointments if he ends up far away for school.

I did ask our CDEs for their advice and have a few names, but mostly I'd want a practice that dealt with a significant number of T1s and not all T2 patients, that were used to dealing with pumps and CGM, and who were flexible and respectful of the knowledge my son has. Ultimately he'll have to interview and make a decision, which is a reasonable thing to do, when I was looking for pediatricians when pregnant it was a normal thing to make an appointment for that purpose, I wonder if endos will do that!

6. lizzie

lizzie Approved members

I would look for someone that works as a team with a cde and a dietitian. It seems like they are most likely to spend more than 5 minutes with their patients and actually be helpful.

7. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

thanks for all the replies, honestly I don't want to stay with my endo any longer... she's awful! She knows nothing of new technology, doesn't listen to me, and doesn't even know how to use the internet properly! (very important when you get your scripts mailed to you and she needs to order them online) Unfortunately I think she sees a lot of very sad cases where the kid and or parents doesn't really know how to take care of themselves, or just doesn't want to.... so when I come in with an A1c of 7.1 she just says good job....