- advertisement -

Switch to Levemir?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Illinifan, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Illinifan

Illinifan Approved members

Was out of town today when CINCHOME and DS went to the pre-college departure appointment with our endo.

She proposed switching Zach to Levemir because he has been waking up WAY high and she's not happy with the split dose of Lantus he's been doing for the last month or so.

I know there's a wealth of info here, but I'm exhausted and somehow, I'm the decision maker on whether to make the switch :confused: Would those of you with Levemir experience please lay out some pros, cons, cautions and advice for me.

He leaves on 16 Aug to head to Miami University (about 75 minutes) away.

TIA...

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

He will most likely need a split does of Levemir too. But if the Lantus isn't working, then I would say give the Levemir a try. Danielle switched from Lantus to Levemir and while she was not happy about an extra shot, it has worked out better.

3. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

DD liked Levemir better because it did not sting. We found Lantus and Levemir peaked at the 6 hour mark when DD was on them. If your son experiences such a peak, perhaps he can take his insulin so he is working with the peak. For example, take his evening shot at midnight so it peaks at 6am when his BG is its highest.

4. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

We switched to Levemir about 6 months ago, because we were seeing a dawn phenomenon with Lantus.
    He did say the Levemir doesn't sting like the Lantus. The split dose worked well for us to even out the nighttime and wake up numbers. We did our split 2/3 in the morning and 1/3 at night.
    One thing we found is that he needs more Levemir than Lantus.

5. Christopher

As you know, often times when bg's are high and it appears to be a basal issue, the Endo will recommend raising the dose. You keep rasing it until you see the bg's come down. Especially in pubecent/teen children, they can need significantly higher basal doses. Did she do that? Also, why was she not "happy" with the split dose?

6. Illinifan

Because, while she was on vacation, we had Zach see another endo because his waking blood sugars were way too high and we didn't feel like we could wait. We wanted time to make sure he was stable before we sent him to college.

The second endo recommended the split Lantus dose.

Turns out that our primary endo doesn't agree with the philosophy behind the split Lantus approach and never recommends it to her patients.

This kid is 6'3", 180 lbs and turns 18 next week.

Her approach is to keep raising the dose until we see the waking numbers come into the preferred range. But he is doing it with Lantus until we tell her to switch to Levemir.

From what I gather, the recommendation from those who replied is to make the switch.

7. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

Just a friendly reminder that we are about 55 min. away from Miami should there ever be a need for diabetes help when you cannot be around. For the most part, I am around. Can't always guarantee that Jeff is here. He's having a traveling kind of summer. BTW, we really don't have supplies any more, but Marissa does and she is only 7 min. away from us. Furthermore, she's a nurse, planning to be a CDE some day. The young man across the street from Marissa has had type 1 for a little over two years (maybe three) and is on MDI so his mom would also have supplies. Of course, you will be over prepared and he will never need help!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  8. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

Obviously, your son?s BMI is healthy but i have been told lantus leads to more weight gain than levemir over time.

9. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

We've been using Levemir with Emma on days we go to Schlitterbahn and have really liked the results. She says it does not burn going in like Lantus does.

10. heamwdevine

heamwdevine Approved members

We use Levemir and do two doses. Anna is 10 and does 16 units in the morning and then 14 units 11-12 hours later. It works well for Anna when we are doing shots.

11. Christopher

Good background.

I don't know. If the Lantus had been working fine and now it is not, it could just be he needs more, for whatever reason. I would be tempted to just keep upping the dose of Lantus and see if that works. Or change the timing of the dose. Then if neither of those things work, then switch to Levemir.

12. Illinifan

This is exactly the approach that we are taking.

Somehow, CINCHOME and DS got the idea that the Levemir would be a once a day thing. Everyone here (I think) mentioned it as a split dose.

Does anybody do Levemir once a day?

13. sooz

sooz Approved members

When we were on MDI we did Levemir once a day at 8 pm, but she was a tiny little girl if that matters.

14. Christopher

I have never heard/seen anyone doing it once a day. Since it is aprox. a 12 hour duration of action, you need 2 doses (especially with an adult).

15. Illinifan

Thanks. That's the conclusion I'd come to.

16. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

We did it once a day at dinner time while my son was on shots. He was only two at the time, though, and his basal needs were very low indeed. That might have made a difference?

17. Ali

Ali Approved members

I never had success with a once a day shot of long acting inslin. This was as an adult but still barely more than 100 pounds. Ali

18. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

My son as an adult used Levemir once a day at first. He finally decided that he would get better coverage at twice a day after about a year though. If you are using large amounts of insulin, it is possible.

19. zoomom456

zoomom456 Approved members

We did Levemir once a day, but W was 13 months and super insulin sensitive at the time. On rare pump breaks we srill do only 1 shot of Levemir, but pump breaks generally don't go past 3-4 days.

20. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We switched to Levimere last year and while we had good results, even splitting it to 2x's a day it still didn't pack the punch we needed. Being that we did untethered, we actually found that switching back to 1 shot a day, then putting the pump back on at night to cover the remainder worked best for us.

Obviously, being on MDI, this doesn't help you, but wanted to share the experience we had.