- advertisement -

Switch from NPH To Lantus

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by LoriLee, Jul 1, 2011.

1. LoriLee

LoriLee Approved members

I just want to share, after 8 months on NPH and Humalog..We switched to Lantus and Humalog yesterday.. We finally got to our new Endo at Houston Children's Hospital on Wednesday and just after me telling her what we have been going through, with all the lows, feeding through the night, symptoms etc.. She was like you need a different insulin! (I knew right then i'm not CRAZY)...Anyway we had a great appointment, they handle things a little different than our old endo, they want a tighter control which made me nervous at first because of her history of lows, but...then i remembered.. no more NPH..I know we have to tweak our lantus(they started her on a lower amount just to see how she re-acts for a week) but last night, she stayed a steady 184 all night long...no dips.. and she was 164 when she woke up...OMG i wanted to jump for joy! This clinic gives lantus twice a day, with Humalog at meals... We have spaced our lantus, so i give her a shot at 530am(while sleeping), H at breakfast (just for the summer so she can sleep a little later one school starts i will mix the two), a shot of H at lunch, and at dinner at 530, they told us i can mix the H and Lantus ( I had a concern, because of the labeling, but they told me they have researched this fully, with no complications, just request, i inject no more than 5 minutes after mixing).. Going back to the clinic, i was so impressed (especially from what we had), even though it was overwhelming at first (due to the big city),, the educator was awesome, and the information they gave me was equally awesome... I kind of feel once we get the kinks worked out, maybe we are finally getting somewhere.. Just wanted to share, as I know you all know the struggle we have had with NPH.. Have a great holiday weekend... Can i Say it again...I HATE NPH!!!!!

2. LoriLee

LoriLee Approved members

oops

guess i was so happy i posted this twice?:cwds:

3. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Very good! That was a long time to be on NPH -- I remember that you were concerned and the consensus of advice from this forum was to get off of NPH. Even the CWD.com site recommends not using NPH.

As I said before, my son felt better once off of NPH.

4. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I would advise you NOT to mix the Lantus and Humalog. You are mixing insulin’s that have different methods of actions (one acts slowly over a 24 hour period and the other is supposed to act quickly over a 4 hour period), and you run the risk of them interfering with each other. I would be very interested to see the "reasearch" the clinic did on this issue.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  5. Alex's Dad

Alex's Dad Approved members

Good for you guys, we are still on NPH after a year and a half, but we are making progress with the endo and I'm sure in a couple of weeks we will be on lantus. Hope things go well with the change.:cwds:

6. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Lori Lee, Im so glad that the endo was listening to you and respecting the fact that you know best for your CWD. We are probably in the very small minority of people who had great success with NPH. Steven was on it for 4 years but has made the transition to using Lantus and Humolog pretty well and has been on that for nearly 3 years. I think you will like being able to be more spontaneous with the meal schedule and how much food needs to be eaten

7. NeurosurgeryNP

NeurosurgeryNP Approved members

I would agree with not mixing the insulins. The action of the Lantus being affected is a real concern as the Lantus is designed to be absorbed over 24 hours and can get absorbed quicker when mixed. I have yet to see a peer review study that recommends mixing Lantus with another insulin.

8. lisamustac

lisamustac Approved members

That's great:) hope you are happy with the switch. For us nph caused so much stress. The mandatory snacks that my 21 month old never wanted to eat :eek: diagnosis was bad enough such a regimented food schedule with a little one was pure torture. I felt like we were always feeding the insulin.

Anyway that's my rant on hating nph and happy your requests were listened to.

9. Christopher

Bumping this up....hoping the OP will come back and comment on not mixing the insulins.

10. momtozachandkay

momtozachandkay Approved members

We mix too. Texas Children's Hospital is very well respected. It is in the very well known Houston Medical Center. I trust them completely and have no problems with mixing the Lantus and Humalog. They have an outstanding clinical care center.

I think different centers do different things. That doesn't make it wrong.

11. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I was about to say the same thing about Texas Children's Hospital. I have heard that mixing Lantus and Humalog works in practice, as long as you give the shot right away.

I know the manufacturer doesn't recommend it, but it doesn't mean it doesn't work or that it is wrong.

It is great she was able to stop using NPH when it obviously wasn't working for her.

12. Christopher

For me, if the people who actually invented/manufacture something think it is important enough to instruct users not to mix their product with another one, I heed that advice. Clearly there are people who don't follow the manufacturer's instructions and have not had any problems yet. That is great for them. And I am sure TCH is a respected hospital.

However, I still don't think it is a good practice, nor do I think it is good to advise parents here (not saying you are), to go against the manufacturer's instructions. And if you think about it logically, the two insulin's have completely different methods of action. One crystallizes and releases slowly. One begins to work very quickly. Mixing the two increases the potential for problems.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  13. grantsmom

grantsmom Approved members

The hospital and two different Endos told us we could mix. We stopped mixing when we went to the pens. We saw no difference in how the Lantus worked mixed or given separately. I know from past posts there are very strong opinions on the matter.

14. giddyup_go

giddyup_go Approved members

Our endo's office tells people the same thing as the OP's, that they've studied it and it's safe to mix as long as there is twice as much novolog/humalog as there is Lantus. That was 2 1/2 years ago though, so their advice might have changed. BUT--we never mixed Lantus with novolog even once. It was just not something I felt comfortable doing given the labeling on the Lantus. They wouldn't do it in the hospital either, so that tells me something.

15. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members