- advertisement -

Switch from Animas Ping to T-Slim?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mom2CNC, Jun 20, 2015.

1. Mom2CNC

Mom2CNC Approved members

If you have made this switch, can you weigh in?

We are approaching our 4 year mark with the Ping. My 10 yo and I are both pumpers and will stick together, one way or the other :)
    I'm not crazy about making a switch, only because we have been very happy using the Ping.

My Endo was pushing the switch, DD's didn't care either way but felt the Ping was a little more sturdy for a child.

All T1 adults I know who now use the T-slim seem very happy. I don't personally know any kids using the T-slim.

DD of course thinks the T-slim seems cooler. I am worried about the longer time it takes to refill. But I also take a lot of insulin, there is the option for the T-slim that holds more insulin, correct?

I appreciate any thoughts.

2. Mimikins

Mimikins Approved members

Currently, there are two different TSlim pumps. The TSlim holds up to 300 units of insulin, while the TFlex holds up to 480 units.

I've been pumping with the TSlim for the past year, and I'm really satisfied with it. I wouldn't consider the load/prime process to be very long, and it's easy for me to make it less of a pain. I tend to insert my site prior to the tubing fill, disconnect myself, and let the pump fill up the tubing while I go do something else (typically putting on a pot of coffee or getting breakfast ready). Maximum, I would say that the entire load process is under fifteen minutes.

Tandem already knows about the slow load process, and they'll be rolling out software updates to the TSlim and TFlex that shorten the load time. From what I've been reading, all new pumps will have this software update already installed, while those already on the pump will receive the updates within the next year or so (once they get FDA approval for remote updating).

If you have an iPhone or an android, they have a really cool app that lets you play around with a virtual TSlim (T:simulator). I've been using it to slowly train my family in some of the basics of my pump without fears of having my younger sister try to kill me by delivering an insane amount of bolus insulin.

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yeah, I wouldn't let the load process put you off from the t:slim. It does take a bit longer than with other pumps (and I'm talking a couple of minutes here, not hours ;)), but it holds more units than the Ping, so you'll do it less often.

If you use the Ping remote a lot, you might want to consider staying with it. Otherwise, the t:slim is really worth a look. We're former Medtronic pumpers, and have never looked back after we switched.

4. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Agreed. I'm always surprised by how much criticism the loading process gets. I guess we just aren't impatient enough because the time to fill really isn't a big deal to us. And the slower loading is totally offset by how much we love the T:Slim. My daughter's been using it for awhile and has no desire to switch. Loves the touchscreen, the ease of use, the look, the durability. Everything is just so easy to do on it - bolus, temp basal, change profiles, load...the menus are straightforward everything is a few taps away. And while remembering to plug it in was a hassle at first, the reduction in battery usage has been nice, and we eventually got used to charging during showers ro when she's on the computer.

While we aren't a parent/child double pump family, we do have two kids on pumps. Different pumps was annoying in the beginning - remembering the menu screens for both, remembering that one does temps and a percent of change and the other is a total percent, ordering supplies from multiple places, etc - it quickly became normal. If you like the Ping and your daughter wants to try something else, it really isn't as bad as you would think :) Especially since you already know yours so well and your daughter is at an age where she will quickly adapt and know hers just as well.

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

This is a lazy question, and likely not too bright, but can you pre-fill the t:Slim cartridges? We've always done that (Cozmo, ping and MM). I'm almost sure you can't, but figured I might (hopefully) be wrong. Thanks

6. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

No you can't. The pump has to prime the empty cartridge (not sure exactly what it does) before you can fill it with insulin. The whole loading process with tslim is about 2 minutes longer. And I don't mind. It uses an entirely different delivery technology to deliver insulin and for us, numbers are more accurate and predictable than with Cozmo.

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Thanks, Brenda. I figured, but hoped that I was maybe wrong. Appreciate the reply

8. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Officially, no...but I'm not sure that it wouldn't work. We've re-used cartridges before because of running out earlier than usual so we've used cartridges that weren't actually empty. Just pulled it out, then slid it right back in place and went through the whole process. No problems. Of course, it's never been a fully filled cartridge but I wouldn't be opposed to trying it if there were a really compelling reason and it would make something simpler.

But officially, no. So I'm not suggesting in any way that someone should try :)

9. Sarah Maddie's Mom

I think it's time to break the thing out of the box and try already :) She's had the pump for a few months but it's been so busy (Junior year, driving, ACT, SAT, etc etc) that we just haven't had a block of time to get it up and running and keep an eye on things. I just know how accustomed she it to letting the cartridge run right down to 8u before changing it and I try (one of my last D mom jobs) to keep a dish of filled cartridges on hand so that she doesn't have to stop and do all that. I guess we/she'll adjust, but she is spoiled that way.

10. Mom2CNC

Mom2CNC Approved members

Thanks for the replies. I forgot about the cool simulator app, I will give that a try. And glad to hear the refill process isn't bad. With 2 pumps plus DD's Dex to care for I hope for every extra second of my life I am not spending caring for these things, but it sounds like it might be worth the few extra moments to fill. Also glad to hear about the new shorter load software.

Anyone have the T-Flex? I would LOVE to not have to refill every other day!

11. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

I have read that at least one person routinely prefills the cartridges by removing the air manually with a syringe before filling. The T-Flex is so new that not many have it. It was approved but didn't start shipping out until pretty recently. You might get three days likely out of a regular tSlim, but you might really like using the bigger pump for even longer between fills. We go 6 days easily with the insulin in the regular pump and only change the site every 3. Also, people on the tSlim Facebook page that have changed from any of the other pumps seem to agree that the amount of time saved with the touch screen and the easy and intuitive menus more than makes up for an extra 4 minutes changing the insulin.

12. Tricia22

Tricia22 Approved members

The "priming" of the empty cartridge is actually the pump removing all the air from the baggie / bladder system that holds the insulin, so if you don't do that part, you're at risk for bubbles. This is what the rep told me when I called about a cartridge issue once early on...