- advertisement -

swimming and the pump

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by coconne3, Jul 1, 2010.

  1. coconne3

    coconne3 Approved members

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2007
    Messages:
    81
    My 7yo DD typically goes low with swimming. I've been leary to increase basal prior to swimming and removal of pump because of the lows but now 1-3hr after being on and off pump we are seeing highs (200-300's). I usually let her swim 30-45min and then reconnect for ~the same amount of time.I did increase her basal this week when she went on the pump but we still got the high (with low 0.5 ketones).Does anyone have a plan of action that has worked for them in this regard? any suggetions would be appreciated.
     
  2. Haley's Dad

    Haley's Dad Approved members

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2009
    Messages:
    27
    Of course every kid is different..............But we have been able to put our DD on a-50% Basal on her pump for the time she swims and she has been great. She maintains her BS the whole time.
     
  3. Charlotte'sMom

    Charlotte'sMom Approved members

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2008
    Messages:
    1,215
    The only thing that has been semi-predictable for us, is to eat not long before she goes swimming, but then only bolus for 30% of the carbs. I don't do anything to her basals, other than take the pump off for the hour or so of swimming.

    Any time I try to run a temp basal, it comes back to bite me. :confused:
     
  4. hawkeyegirl

    hawkeyegirl Approved members

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2007
    Messages:
    13,157
    I'm not saying it's perfect, but here's what works for us:

    If he is actually swimming (i.e., not just splashing around, but actually using a lot of energy), we reconnect every hour and bolus for half of missed basal. If he is lowish at the time, he gets an uncovered snack. He absolutely cannot go more than an hour without some insulin, or we will get highs and ketones later.

    If he is just goofing around (sitting in the hot tub, playing catch in the water, etc.), we reconnect every hour and bolus for 100% of missed basal.
     
  5. frizzyrazzy

    frizzyrazzy Approved members

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2006
    Messages:
    14,141
    we do similar to Karla although not really scientific...we just make sure we reconnect every hour or so and bolus for food - usually a dove bar or something small, under 10g of carbs. That seems to curb the highs later.
     
  6. emm142

    emm142 Approved members

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2008
    Messages:
    6,883
    I do the same as Karla and Michelle, except I need to replace my full basal doses with boluses (and I give them as a fixed prime, because they're equivalent to basal and I don't want them to show up in IOB). I have to eat uncovered snacks occasionally to maintain BG, but if I lower my basals for exercise, ketones and highs later in the day are almost inevitable.
     
  7. roo'smom

    roo'smom Approved members

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2008
    Messages:
    258
    DD is constantly in the pool in the summer and we also were having problems w/ highs later. We just started giving her a shot of lantus every morning so that she is at least getting some background insulin while unhooked. We're still tweaking the dosage and basals, but numbers have been less up and down since we started the lantus. She's on about a 60/40 (lantus/pump) ratio for her basals. If she's swimming really hard I'll usually let her "graze" , within reason, uncovered. Hope you figure it all out!!
     
  8. frizzyrazzy

    frizzyrazzy Approved members

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2006
    Messages:
    14,141
    we're contemplating this as well. my only issue is that up here in new england, we could have a day where it's 90 and the next day it's 70 (like today), too cold to swim. It's hard to plan a lantus dose.
     
  9. roo'smom

    roo'smom Approved members

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2008
    Messages:
    258
    We don't do the full basal as a lantus dose - only about 60%. The other 40% we do via the pump - this way we still have a little flexibility as far as "temping" her up and down. It's by no means perfect yet - we're still fiddling w/ basals on the pump. I suppose switching to Apidra around the same time we started w/ the lantus wasn't the smartest thing to do, but we'll manage:rolleyes: It has definitely helped with the highs following being disconnected though.
     

Share This Page

- advertisement -

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice