- advertisement -

Swimming and sensors

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by minniem, Apr 29, 2012.

1. minniem

minniem Approved members

My DS is on a swim team, but every week at practice we are having trouble keeping his sensors taped on. Consequently we end up having to change the sensor every time because it either comes untaped or completely falls out. What do you use to secure your sensors in the pool?

The other thing is we use his arms for sensors and I'm wondering if the pull of the water on his arms is pulling it out too? We could use his bum but he likes that area for pump sites and the sensors do not read as reliably there for us, but I am wondering if that would be better because his bathing suit could help secure it? Currently we use IV 3000 to secure the sensor but other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!:cwds:

2. Mommy To 4

Mommy To 4 Approved members

We haven't tried swimming yet, but my DD's IV 3000 would come off during bath time. I think that it is too small. Her CDE gave us a few sample Tegaderm HP and they seem to work much better. I also find them easier to get to cover the sensor because they are a bit larger and have a framed style. Easier to get a good seal around the sensor and the edges, IMHO.

3. alismom

alismom Approved members

Mastisol works well for us.

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

IV 3000 is terrible in water. We use Opsite Flexfix. I order it online from Edgepark Pharmacy. It comes in a roll so that you can cut off as much as you need. A roll that costs $30 typically lasts us around 8 months.

5. minniem

minniem Approved members

Thanks, I just ordered some of this tape off of Amazon tonight.:)

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Great! I hope you like it. It works really well for us, and we've tried a LOT of tapes. :)

7. NeurosurgeryNP

NeurosurgeryNP Approved members

The Opsite works very well. They are made by the and company as the IV3000 but they are completely different products. I also like the Tegaderm HP. It also has great sticking power in water.

8. suz

suz Approved members

My son also wears Dex on his arm, and whenever we go swimming (daily in the summer) we always wrap dex in vet wrap. It doesn't help with adhesion, but it does help keep it secure. We take it off after swimming, then when the Dex is dry we'll use SkinTac on any areas that are starting to peel up.