- advertisement -

Swimming all day with a pump... HOW DO YOU MANAGE???

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by textornado, May 19, 2011.

1. textornado

textornado Approved members

First of all... Thank you!! I am blessed to find a place to ask for advice. It is a lonely place out here. We have no friends with type one diagnosis.

We are going on a much needed vaction soon to the lake. My son spends the entire day in the water. How do I manage the basal level if he is not hooked to the pump. He is on the minimed and is disconnected when in the water. This is the first summer with diabetes and the first with the pump. I would like his summer to smoothly and fun!!!! We made it through hockey and now baseball, bring on the lake!!!

Smiles, Jessie

2. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

Well, what works for us is going untethered. My DD gets the majority of basal through Lantus (17 units out of her total 38-40 TDD) and then uses the pump strictly for boluses. It's worth looking into and I'm sure you'll find a lot of posts here on that very issue. Best of luck. :)

3. nyholli

nyholli Approved members

Hi!

We are just getting ready to order my daughter' pump, but I did bring this same question up to the CDE during a pumping class. My baby loves the water and LIVES in our pool during the summer. I explained to the CDE that she is in by 10-11am and doesn't stop till evening, but of course she breaks for food but thats about it. LOL.

She explained to us that it is not an issue and when she was out of the pool we should reconnect and check blood sugar. She also explained that her blood sugar would need to be checked every hour she is disconnected. I was concerned about the basal also, but she said the pool activity will keep her sugar down anyway and it is a great form of excersise... as long as you check BS hourly, connect for a meals/snack and if a correction is needed, there is no problem at all.

Hope that helps!

4. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

My dd stays in the water all day, too. She just disconnects. It's no problem because swimming makes her bg drop. In fact, she keeps a bottle of Gatorade on the side of the pool to sip on periodically to keep her bg up.

5. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

Last year

Last year was my first year with a mm pump for my four-year old. I checked blood sugar every hour and reconnected for food and snacks like everyone recommends. But - even for all of the activity, my son would always be high 300's - one time after an hour of disconnect and jumping at a jump castle, he was 400!

I became totally frustrated and didn't know what to do. My husband is totally against going back and giving him shots, so that is not an option.

Several people on this forum recommended that I go ahead and give him manually his hour of basal that he would be missing before the disconnect. SO- we went to the beach once this year and it worked perfectly! Being obsessive at first, I checked his blood sugar every 30 minutes, but once I realized he was fine, I relaxed to every hour.

Check your child before the disconnect and make your decision then. You may have to watch for patterns with your child to make a decision. If their blood sugar stays in normal range - you may not have to give the basal.

Good luck!

6. coconne3

coconne3 Approved members

Hi, We joined a pool for the first time last summer and what worked best for us was going back on lantus for the summer. We tried it with temporary increases but in the end...lantus was our lifesaver!

7. jules12

jules12 Approved members

We went to the beach over the holidays last year and I took Lantus with me and had the amount our Endo thought he might be one. But they encouraged me to try to just disconnect the pump and test each hour. They encouraged us to connect each hour and give him some insulin.

FYI - I was more afraid of dropping his pump in the lake. Our insurance only covers theft not accidents and minimed only replaces if there is a pump to send back to them. Therefore, you might want to set some ground rules about where you put his pump. When we went out in the boat, I took needles and insulin with me rather than his pump.

8. selketine

selketine Approved members

We disconnect and replace the basal every hour or so if needed. In the pool we often just leave his pump on him.

Some kids drop a lot while swimming and some do not so you will have to find out what works for your child with some trial and error.

At our pool the kids are made to get out for 15 mins out of every hour so that is a good time to test, reconnect, eat a small item, get a bit of insulin, etc.

I just wonder - for those who find their kids drop - are they going without insulin for hours? Does it cause ketones?

9. jules12

jules12 Approved members

We have never had ketones. Last year, he could disconnect 2-3 hours at a time. This year, I think the honeymoon is definitely over so I will be interested to see if anything changes. Our endo did encourage us to be careful and not let him go too long without insulin - even if it is just enough to cover the carbs he is eating for snack, etc.

10. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

This is exactly what we did last year, our first summer with the pump. It worked great. Rarely, if he was high, I'd leave his pump on in the pool...that worked fine, too. We just checked BG every hour or so.

Remember, exercise can affect BG level for many hours afterward, which I'm sure you've already found with your child's other sports. We check overnight a lot more in the summer because of the swimming.

Have a great summer!:)

11. roo'smom

roo'smom Approved members

We use a shot of lantus each day to cover about 60% of her basal needs. Without the lantus her bgs would be fine while swimming, but the missed basal would catch up with her later in the day. We found it too much of a pain to have her get out and check every hour, hook back up, and correct. We chose not to give her total basal via lantus b/c this way we still have a little room to play with different times of the day when she needs more or less basal. It's just trial and error to find a method that works best for your child - good luck!

12. swellman

swellman Approved members

Since we have the OmniPod our issues are not yours but if we thought we needed to drop the pod for a week we would go back to Lantus/Novolog. We usually spend a week at a resort with water all day long and depending on how the week starts with the pod we may go to MDI.

I really like the "hourly basal bolus" idea though - that sound like a winner.

13. meggiemoo

meggiemoo Banned

My child usually swims with the pump on. It's easier than replacing missed basil.

14. emm142

emm142 Approved members

If I go without insulin for much over 1-2 hours, I start to get ketones. I rehook my pump for basal every hour, or I add a bit of lantus to the mix. Even if I need to eat something to keep my BG up as well. I just can't go very long without insulin. YDMV.

15. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

You could also just wear the pump in an aquapak all day and bolus right through it. It's bulky but certainly an option. Alas, dd likes to swim untethered.

16. mommabear

mommabear Approved members

That is exactly what we do, and it works well for us..Best of luck:)