- advertisement -

Surprised at expectations for Type 2 diagnosis

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gomod71, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Gomod71

Gomod71 Approved members

My dad was just diagnosed with Type 2 this week after some a hospital stay due to atrial fib.

His A1C was 9.0 - while he was in the hospital they were giving him Humalog via injection before meals.

Prior to discharge today he met with a nurse from the diabetes clinic associated with the hospital for some brief directions. He's sent home with a Rx for Metformin. I'm shocked that he's being told to test only once a day, at random different times. Also, he was told that numbers in the 200's or 300's aren't a big deal.

I always knew the differences were pretty significant in the way the two types are managed but ... really??? I didn't expect the control or testing frequency of my 12 y/o DS but I'm really baffled!

My dad, who is a horrible patient anyway, is convinced the numbers are all a fluke because of the atrial fib and subsequent meds. So having a nurse tell him to test only once a day and 200-300 is okay is going to really make it hard for me to convince him otherwise.

Ugh!

2. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

He needs a brilliant, proactive, endocrinologist.

3. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

I agree with Ellen that he needs a better doctor and perhaps a psychologist to help him get over his denial that he has type 2.

About those rare checks: If he is on an oral medication only, the once a day check can tell him (his doctor) if he is on the right dose. This assumes he diets, if needed, and exercises. If he were to take his pill at bedtime (I do not know when one is supposed to take metformin, am assuming it is once a day), check at meals, what is his course of action? There really is none unless he is on insulin. That said, it would not hurt to check at breakfast and dinner to help titrate the dose.

I used to be appalled that those with type 2 did not check at all meals, then I finally understood that knowing did not matter as much given the regimen they were on. I assume, though, that if you knew you were high, you could eat a low carb meal and/or go for a brisk walk to help bring down your blood sugar. Easier said than done for many, I suppose.

Sure hope your dad is convinced soon that he needs some better education and to be less stubborn! Not being critical of dad; he's probably a great guy.

4. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

For a Type 2, testing in pairs (before & after meals/exercise) is of prime importance, particularly if newly dx'd.

What will they do with the information? Hopefully, they'll learn to adjust foods & activities, along with giving the dr info on how well the treatment plan is working (including meds, if any). That information DOES matter.

Unfortunately, Type 2s are still at the mercy of the view that if they're not on insulin, a random once-daily BG check is enough. Worse yet, most never see an endo or nutritionist. Instead, they're told to lose weight & get more exercise, with no guidance on how to do either. Most don't even know the basics, such as how carbs affect BG. It's shameful.

5. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

I was recently told by a person who works in a pharmacy that specialize in diabetes that for Type 2 carbs don't matter just calories per day. Which made no sense to me. Her husband is Type 2 and she claims he just needs to count calories if they're all carbs that's fine. I didn't argue with her but it made absolutely no sense to me at all.

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

My sil who is a nurse and T2 told me a doozy. Now, I consider this woman to be well educated and fairly in tune with the nuances with diabetes. BUT...when it comes to her own care, it all goes out the window. She came back east to visit for 2 weeks. Her doctor told her just watch her carbs and don't bother to take her insulin, "it would be to troublesome to cart it back and forth and worry about cooling it!:confused:

So, I watched her test once a day and live on lettuce because you could tell she felt crappy because she didn't take her insulin. Ugh! How hard is it to cart a penful of insulin across country? She didn't even need to bring backup since my daughter is on the same as her. I had a hard time keeping my mouth shut:eek:

7. Momontherun

Momontherun Approved members

Type 2 reimbursement by Medicare for strips is limited maybe one to two tests a day for someone diet controled or on po meds. Even type 2 on short and long acting insulin can be instructed to test only a couple time a day.