- advertisement -

Support group

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by coconne3, Dec 11, 2009.

1. coconne3

coconne3 Approved members

Hi, Have any of you started a support group in your area? I don't know if it will truly be a support group or more a chance for kids with D to meet others in the area. I'd like it to be a combination of both. For those of you who have, suggestions on first steps etc... Thanks Colleen

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I haven't started one but attend one on the first monday of the month w/ Kaylee. Its more of a get together. Parents talk, kids play. They love it, we have a good time. Suggestions on starting one. call the endo's office, give info on what/when/where/how long/who's invited and what'll happen.. you can also talk to your local JDRF and see if they want to get the word out. A hospital is a good place, they usually lend you a conference room.

Good luck. Kaylee really enjoys her 'meetings'.

3. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

I havent started one yet but would like to. I think talking to your endo is a good place to start to see what interest there is in your area. Then you could advertise in the paper. Many hospitals will offer rooms or lounges for the meetings. You could decide if you want speakers and reps or just informal gatherings. I wish you best of luck if you decide to do this

4. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

we didnt start one but we attend one every month. Its called HotShots, started by the Huntsville Hospital diabetic educator staff. Every month they pick a topic related to T1D and teach the kids and parents about it. With the kids they use games to teach them. Us grown ups sit in a conference room and learn by listening to lecture first and then asking questions. We also do things like go to camp grounds for a day, or swim, skate, the mall, eat ice cream, talk to the local politicians, have a halloween party, stuff like that.

5. shilpi235

shilpi235 Approved members

nothing in pa?

i have always wondered that there is no support group in PA??!!!
    it really is a bliss for those who attend it..