- advertisement -

Support Group for children and teens

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kaleidoscopestars, Nov 24, 2009.

1. kaleidoscopestars

kaleidoscopestars Approved members

Hello everyone
    I am senior in high school, and I have had type 1 diabetes for 8 years. I want to start a support group in my area, for teens and young children. I want to create a group of teen "mentors" and then have the teens support the younger children. I would then also like to include parents and the community too.
    My main question is, what would you find useful for your child or your family to learn? What kind of support do you need? How can I better help other families?
    And for children and teens, how can I meet your needs better?
    I am not a parent, so I do not understand things the way you do. I do understand how it feels to be a child with diabetes though. I really want this to work, and I need as much advice as possible!!! I want to help as many people in my community as I can.
    Thank you so much!
    Feel free to contact me!!!
    kaleidoscopestars@gmal.com
    -Shelby

2. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hi Shelby, what a great idea!:) I think its really good for kids to get together with other kids their own age that have diabetes. I know its very helpful for me to talk to other parents about caring for a child with d. I think just letting familys in your area know that they are not alone is huge. Diabetes can be an isolating disease for many. Good luck with your project! Let us know how things are going.

3. kaleidoscopestars

Thank you for your reply! :)
    Do you think there is anything I should focus on? If your child went, would there be anything you would really like to learn or talk about?
    :)
    -Shelby

4. kpoehls

kpoehls Approved members

Shelby,
    I think what you are doing is fantastic! Having a place where diabetes is NORMAL would be soooo cool for my dd. I think that was her favorite part of diabetes camp last June.

I know that she is looking forward to returning to camp, but that is a long way off. Having a support group throughout the year would be very nice.

In terms of things to focus on, I would think that site rotations (for those on MDI), carb counting, exercise and coping with highs/lows would be excellent.

Thanks for sharing your wisdom. A lot of people will get so much out of your energy.:D

5. kaleidoscopestars

Thank you so much! :)
    Site rotations is a good one...thanks!! What camp did she go to? I went to Camp Sweeny! :)
    im really excited to start the group!!! Do you have any suggestions for how it should be structured? Like, half the meeting talking and teaching, and then the other half we do an activity? What do you think?
    -Shelby

6. Abbie

Abbie Approved members

the support group seems like a great idea! i've only been diagnosed for about two months, and it has been quite a pain getting used to everything.:eek:

7. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

this sounds great! I'll let my daughter know. I agree...just knowing they're not alone and maybe discussions about gaining independence--a hot topic for my ten year old! Let us know how it goes :D