- advertisement -

Super Quick Question-Help with SIte Change?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by phaunt, Sep 20, 2009.

1. phaunt

phaunt Approved members

Lilly started on the pump on Thursday, she's wearing it with Saline until Wednesday. We're doing our first site change today and realized we don't have any IV Prep pads!

I was under the assumption that you don't have to have them, we can still change the site without them, correct? Just use alcohol swab to clean the area? We can go get some tomorrow but need to change the site today.

Thanks!

2. Brynn

Brynn Approved members

I dont use them all the time, I think it would be okay:)

3. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

We don't use iv prep. Alcohol would be fine, just make sure it's dry.

4. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Alcohol is fine :) Since you're just on a saline trial, it's a good opportunity to try it without the IV Prep and see if you really DO need it with her sets... without it really being critical if the site doesn't stick well. You might be surprised to find it sticks fine.. everyone's skin is different.

I can say that I don't notice a TON of difference with the set tape sticking with or without the IV prep (which means, in simple terms, nothing sticks well to me), but any other dressings (tegaderm, IV3000, flexifix, etc) do stick a LOT better with either IV Prep/Skin Prep or Skin Tac.

I usually put IV3000 over my set to keep the edges of the tape stuck down. The IV3000 being thinner seems to less prone to having the edges curl up. Tegaderm HP sticks to me much better, but I seem to be allergic to the adhesive on it now :(

5. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I've never used IV prep, alcohol, or anything else under a set. I just clean the area with soap and water in the shower before each set change.

6. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

yep, you don't need it. We like the combo of alcohol AND iv prep, but alcohol works just fine on it's own. The iv prep has a little bit of sticky in it, that's the only difference, otherwise it's just an alcohol pad.

7. phaunt

phaunt Approved members

Awesome.. I thought that might be the case.. Thanks everyone! off to do our first site change! :cwds: