- advertisement -

Super Nanny tonight

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Liongirl4, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

It was on ABC.

2. Becky Stevens mom

I thought she did a pretty decent job considering that they only had an hour to work with and other children with behavior problems. I did think it was a mistake to force him to eat everything on his plate. Ive always filled in carbs with bread and butter usually if Steven really dislikes what Im serving for supper and if he is full I will give some juice if he needs more carbs. I think its a mistake to get into the eat the food or you get sick thing with little kids, they dont understand and it will frighten them unnecessarily. Easy enough to bolus after or give less food and less insulin.

I felt it was a good portrayel of life with d. I wish they didnt have to point out that the Moms brother had died of complications due to diabetes. They didnt say which kind (1 or 2 ) and certainly didnt discuss whether he had taken care of himself.

3. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Thanks Nancy...I was pretty sure Sean Penn was NOT part of the Super Nanny cast LOL!

4. mamort

mamort Approved members

thats what I thought!!!

5. caspi

caspi Approved members

Personally, the show upset me. (For those of you in the DC area like me, I also get the local Winchester ABC station, which is how I was "fortunate" enough to see it :rolleyes:)

I wasn't upset with "Super Nanny" herself, but at how idiotic these parents were! They must have access to a computer and/or the real world if they knew enough to request to be shown on this show. Why couldn't they have taken a little bit more time and researched Type 1 Diabetes - if for nothing else to realize that it's not a "death sentence" or whatever it was that they said at the beginning of the show! :eek: From what I understand their son was dx'd 8 months ago. I was on the computer within a day of returning home from the hospital with Cameron. Also, the whole "eat everything on your plate" scenario is soooooo wrong, on soooooo many levels! They are making this poor boy feel as though if he doesn't eat his food, he's going to die! WTH??!! :mad:

Also, I wasn't too keen on the fact that they said they only tested him 4-5 times a day... :confused:

I just hate to think of the parents that may have watched this show tonight, who in the next week or month or whenever ends up in our situation. I just hope they don't think that how this couple acts is proper.

I honestly wish they hadn't aired this..... I really don't see how it was of any help. :(

6. Dylan'sMom

Dylan'sMom Approved members

The one thing that really bothered me was how at the beginning they said help these parents learn how to care for their "sick" little boy. :mad: I hate when T1 kids are labeled like that.

7. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

But her father did die of diabetes. (I think it was father though someone else said brother.) So, while she may know intellectually and I'm sure the Drs have told her that it's not a death sentence, it had to be hard for her not to see it as such. And it's only been 8 mos. Even reading things online are not necessarily going to fix her emotional worry about that.

8. caspi

caspi Approved members

I realize that YDMV, but 8 months is a long enough time to gather enough information to realize that D is NOT a death sentence, whether a family member has died because of it or not. We're not even sure if her father died due to Type 1 or Type 2 - they never did say - not that it really matters, but just curious. I just wasn't comfortable at all with how they handled any of his care. I have to wonder what kind of medical team they have behind them..... :(

9. Becky Stevens mom

It was her brother, he was 42 I believe but they didnt say whether it was t1 or t2. Steven was watching with me, he looked at me and said " Mom he died because he didnt take good care of his d right?" I said that is probably what happened, that we were taking good care of his d and that when he got older he would know how to as well.

10. caspi

caspi Approved members

Actually, it was her father, who died at age 46. They never did say whether it was T1 or T2, however.

11. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

There can be quite a long mourning period for some people when their child is first diagnosed...and coupled with having lost her father to the disease (and we don't know what she witnessed with him having had diabetes) she's entitled to the palpable sadness that showed on her face.

As for how many times per day the child's bg should be checked - if they are following the doctor's orders and it's working so far (perhaps in a honeymoon), so be it.

Betty Brackenridge and Richard Rubin's old book Sweet Kids really was great about teaching families not to make a battle out of food. A lot of what we saw may have been fear based - perhaps the parents were trying to do what the CDE or dietician told them as far as how much their child had to eat at each meal and they may have been afraid to stray from the program. It then comes out looking like anger and frustration. As a family, we followed the rules handed to us way back when for a long time. The dad on the show seemed to be conscientious about calculating the dose of insulin based on what was actually eaten.

I give the parents credit for reaching out knowing things were so out of control, putting themselves out there for the entire country/world to see, and to ask for help to make a positive change in their family's life and to do the work.

I also hope they will find CWD and get support when they are ready for it.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  12. Zac's Mom

Zac's Mom Approved members

I thought all-in-all it was a pretty good show. It did allot of explining about
    T1. I got the understanding that the whole plate issue was more about just getting him to SIT down & eat a meal at dinnertime & not have a power struggle. And having to give him something later when he was hungry when he should have eaten at mealtime not on his time.

13. caspi

caspi Approved members

I guess I see things a bit differently (shocking, I know! ;)) I personally don't think she's entitled to show her son her sadness about his D. I believe it's her job, as his mother, to protect him, make him feel safe, and make everything okay. He's only 5! He doesn't need to hear that D is a life sentence. :(

14. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

I've never had my father die....and he doesn't have diabetes so I can't put myself in this woman's shoes. I am saying that intellectually, sure, they probably understand it's not a death sentence. But emotionally, it might feel that way. I refuse to judge them for feeling that way.

With her father dying in his 40's, my guess would be it was T1. But I don't know.

15. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I thought they did a good job.. DH and I were talking about the food issue.. I don't think its necessary for him to eat all his food (especially the protein and veggies if he's eaten his carbs that are necessary) but we were also discussing what insulins he could be on.. if he has NPH in there, it may be necessary for him to be eating a certain amount, but they seemed to be carb counting, and dosing afterwards.. We were also discussing that Kaylee hasn't figured this out yet.. but she wouldn't either, because of the pump, if she doesn't eat, she doesn't eat.. there is no struggle, no forcing her (unless she's low.).

Overall, nice job, I think! Some good simple D education in there. Halle Berry I could have done without.. I groaned when she was mentioned and DH asked why.. I explained and groaned too LOL.

16. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I believe she did say, in the very beginning, that type 1 was in her family, her dad died from type 1 in his early 40s and her biggest fear was that one of her kids would develop type 1..

We all know its not a death sentence, but having gone through that.. she is now 40, so who knows how old she was when her father died, if it were 20 years ago, diabetes care was way different, even 15 years ago it was way different.. being young and having your father die, for whatever reason, in this case diabetes, it sits in your mind.. to her, it felt like that, since her father died from it..

I know people that make their kids eat certain amounts, they aren't allowed to have sweets, of any kind, even though they are on lantus/novolog.. school is a huge issue, they make them bring the treats home.. its the way you are taught and how you parent.

17. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

I was overall disappointed. While it was good that they tackled this subject, I feel a lot more homework could have been done.

I was frustrated that this poor kid was being forced to clean his plate when that is not at all necessary, especially since they bolused after he ate. I'm not sure Jo's plan to get him to eat will achieve the desired result -- getting Aiden to not feel he has to seek control through food. Forcing a kid to eat everything regardless of hunger isn't healthy whether you use cute little stars and a dinner plate banner or not.

With respect to the mother's fears ... I don't see what is so wrong with them. Her dad died ... of diabetes. That gives her good reason to be scared. Particularly given the fact that her son was only 8 months into the diagnosis. I remember what it was like those first couple of years learning to live with D and manage the feelings that went along with it. My dad has diabetes also and has had it for a long time. I am fortunate that he has lived to be fairly happy and healthy. But he has endured a lot, including a life threatening heart attack when he was just 51 (a complication of his D). Growing up seeing the long term effects of the disease first hand takes its toll. Put yourself in the position of seeing that, living through that and then finding out your child has the same disease? That's hard. As parents of kids with D, we have good reason to worry. Suggesting that a parent not worry about their D kid is absurd IMHO. The fact that Jo would do that made me angry.

The fact that lows/highs were never brought up in the discussions of disruptive behavior surprised me. For me, that has always been the hardest part of disciplining. I don't punish for behavior that is the result of a low or a very high high. Having to stop to test before making a move to discipline is a challenge and hard to navigate. Yet that subject was never broached on the show. In fact it wasn't mentioned that a dramatic change in BG can alter moods and behaviors. That was weird.

And don't even get me started on Halle Berry. :rolleyes:

18. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

I missed it and can't wait to see it.

I think the parents are brave for seeking out help like this.

and I don't see anything wrong with just checking 4-5 times a day. There I said it. please don't hate me or judge me. We probably average 5 checks per day.

19. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

I was actually pretty impressed with it. She gave some good information about Type 1.

I do not think she really needed to go into all of the ins and outs of Type 1. After all this is Supernanny, not a show all about diabetes.

I also have to admit that had my dad passed away so young from complications of the same disease my son had I would be worried as well.

Kaleb also checks 4-6 times a day ( if we are lucky ). It works for us.

20. allisa

allisa Approved members

haha....I was thinking the same about BOTH these points !!

When they did the puppet show...they did mention mood swings going with blood sugar fluctuations....but.....that was about it.

I just happened to see this post at 8:15....& immediately tuned in....missed first 15 minutes of the show....thought it was okay.....