- advertisement -

Super Hyper Son??

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mommaof7, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Mommaof7

Mommaof7 Approved members

My son was diagnosed T1 almost one month ago and ever since I have noticed that shortly after he gets his insulin ( he gets it after every main meal) he is insanely hyper. Bouncin' off the walls. This is regardless of a high low or a normal bg reading too. Has anyone else ever noticed this??

2. zimbie45

zimbie45 Approved members

Hi
    My kid is just hyper to begin with.. But what i can explain is that he has probley felt pretty bad for a whilel.. now that he is getting what his body needs he probley feels much better... hopefully it will calm down..

3. ange_mom

ange_mom Approved members

I have heard of a child on one kind of insulin that made people think he had ADD for years, only to find out he was allergic to that type of insulin????

4. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

I'm thinking on the same lines as Chandra... I think he's just feeling better. Or you have a big family, is it his way of acting embarassed?! (I know when my daughter gets nervous she acts all giddy)

I couldn't believe my child that came back after diagnoses, I forgot who she was, she was sick for so long.

5. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

I just saw your birthday listed at the bottom of the main page of the forum, below where it shows who's on-line

6. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

yes, my son was like that for a month! We joked that insulin gave him superpowers :D He's not like that anymore, well he's still hyper but not as bad as before. It used to be funny because he'd just jiggle and run all over the place, I had to feed him while he was pacing back and forth.

7. georgia

georgia Approved members

the same thing happened to my daughter initially after diagnosis (and it no longer happens). I questioned the nurses and doctors about side effects of humalog (besides low blood sugar) and they said no and she probably is just feeling good (which she hadn't been for so long). I thought they were wrong and was really worried. But it has stopped. I don't recall when exactly but after a few months probably. So I vote for she is probably feeling better and happy to have energy to be crazy and hyper.

8. susan

susan Approved members

The same thing happened to my son...I even called the nurse to ask if that was a side effect, and she said it was probably because he felt so much better..But right after we put him on insulin he was crazy wild...CRAZY..I too was worried in the beginning, but he settled down...

9. Norajane

Norajane Approved members

Yeah, I'd have to say that I brought home a new kid too. I was elated to see her back to herself again, because I forgot too. Isn't that sad? Hugs to all the kids feeling better...Hyper is great!

10. Caynuns mom

Caynuns mom Approved members

I think my son had been Diabetic for a long time before Dx (really sick when finally DX)because he had restless sleep, did not speak much, motor functions seemed behind, and other stuff but I'm here to tell you literally within a couple of hours of receiving insulin it was like someone else's child was in that hospital bed! He was talking up a storm (words and sentences we never heard him say before) his motor skills were excellent, he was energetic and bright eyed, His appetite was bottomless, my husband,I and our other kids were amazed at how quick he changed for the better!:D He was very hyper for the first few months it was like having ten kids wrapped up in one now a little over a year into it he's like four kids wrapped up in one:D Oh and he sleeps like a rock now!
    THANK GOODNESS FOR INSULIN!!!