- advertisement -

Summer Childcare Ideas?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Turtle1605, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

So...we are moving along in our diagnosis. I thought I had everything under control...WRONG. Terrible numbers all day. It seems no matter what I do, apparently I should have done something else. Anyway...this bad day has resulted in me trying to plan. I have an issue with over-planning, but diabetes has taught me planning is not always possible.

Nonetheless...I have very few if any childcare options after school is out for the summer. Can you tell me how you arranged for childcare? Have any of you used Family and Medical Leave for those couple of months. I thought some of you may have some creative suggestions.

PS...we don't have any family member who is willing to help us with our management of diabetes (I won't even start my rant about that here) and the school summer program will not be an option from my understanding.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

May I ask why? And is it a public school program?

3. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

It would be helpful to those of us giving advice if you would add a signature to your messages. Lots of people post here and the advice given depends on the age and gender of your child, when she was dx'd and the insulin regime she is on.

Click on User CP on the toolbar above this and then on Edit Signature (which is down a bit on the drop down menu.)

My son attended day care with diabetes -- most summer programs can accommodate testing the blood sugar and treating lows. I wouldn't write off any until you ask.

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

So...we are moving along in our diagnosis. I thought I had everything under control...WRONG. Terrible numbers all day. It seems no matter what I do, apparently I should have done something else. Anyway...this bad day has resulted in me trying to plan. I have an issue with over-planning, but diabetes has taught me planning is not always possible.

Do you log everything? Meaning, bg's, carbs eaten, insulin given?
    This helps the endo in making changes when needed. What regimen is your child on? How old?

As for over planning, try not to. Keep it simple and things will go more smoothly,.

Nonetheless...I have very few if any childcare options after school is out for the summer. Can you tell me how you arranged for childcare?
    We were lucky enough to have a T1D sitter, but I know others have found nursing students, or other teens/college students who were responsible and willing to learn.

the school summer program will not be an option from my understanding.

Why? Is it held in a public school? Is it offered by a public school?

5. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Not sure on age or time since diagnosis, but we've had to cover summers for 5 years now. For us, we had her in daycare the first 3 years. Once she got to school age, we switched to an in-home provider. She has her own children at home, plus my two, and also has 2 other children. My DD and one of the other children have diabetes - she did such a good job understanding DD's care that I recommended her to another mom of a CWD and she now has two. Daycare was harder to find after diagnosis but it was do-able. The in-home was easier to find as there are a lot of SAHM providers and I asked around for recommendations and interviewed them until I found one I like. This year the kids are 8 and 10 and I'm considering going back to a daycare because it offers a summer camp style summer plan and they would get to go to tons of fun places 3 days a week. The search can be difficult but there are really good providers out there.

6. MTMomma

MTMomma Approved members

We needed only limited coverage when our work times overlapped when our son was young. Our provider suggested an ad in the hospital news. (A letter type paper.) Sure enough a wonderful high school student who grew up with T1 bother responded. She was great. Only has her one summer before she left for college. Both kids adored her. I trusted her because she was already trained to handle lows and had lived the D routine. We paid her well because it was such a relief to have her provide the care.

7. Mrs. Russman

Mrs. Russman Approved members

You might list where you are, maybe there is a parent or teen in your area willing to provide childcare. I am a stay at home mom and would be willing to help out someone locally.

8. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Or even contact a local hospital that has a nursing program.

Yes, we paid our sitter well, above the average because we were so thrilled with her care. The girls loved her, I trusted her. Well worth the $$$.

9. MegaPug

MegaPug Approved members

I haven't had to use this website yet, but have kept it bookmarked just in case:

http://www.safesittings.com/

It is an online database that matches up Type 1 families in need of qualified babysitters who are either Type 1 themselves or have a very close family member with T1 and have thorough first-hand knowledge of the condition. It's worth a try!

HTH :cwds:

10. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

It is a great site, but unfortunately for us, there was only one listing for anyone within 50 miles of our home in the Chicago suburbs (and I also tried searching using the zip code of my downtown office and still got the same single listing) -- very frustrating!

We've found our first sitter through the sittercity.com website (it's a fee-based service) by looking for someone who was a certified nursing assistant or had similar experience. We had also posted the position at three local junior colleges nursing program job boards. After our first summer at ADA camp, the camp distributed the contact information for counselors who were interested in babysitting.

11. tiger7lady

tiger7lady Approved members

What did you do prior to D? We were very lucky. We had the same sitter for Vincent for over 6 years when he was dx. We asked her if she would be willing to learn how to care for him and she was more than willing so we taught her.

I would suggest putting an ad on Sittercity.com. There you can explain that diabetes is involved and you might be surprised by the responses you get. We were looking for weekend/night sitter and this worked out great. I got lots of responses. Some from nursing students, parents of other type 1, and sitters who had already had type 1's in the past.

12. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I'll never understand why folks put up a thread, get comments and questions back, log on and yet don't reply. :confused: