- advertisement -

Suggestions needed to help 'pass' the bug

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by TracieandJim, Feb 2, 2009.

1. TracieandJim

TracieandJim Approved members

I was sick all last week. Samuel came home Friday after vomiting at day care. He would vomit infrequently all weekend. Yesterday he vomited as soon as he woke up from nap so I decided to stay home with him just in case. He's had ketones up to 0.6 up until yesterday. This morning he was 1.5 ketones. His BG hasnt been too high at all. Im sure he has a mild tummy bug. Right now in fact hes a nut running around screaming and playing with James who came home from the day care this morning also vomiting. oy.

I really need to get back to work. What can I do for them both to help pass this tummy bug. They both have diarrhea and achy tummies. James wont eat. Samuel will eat and I am managing the ketones well enough. They are down to 0.2 now. When they do eat they are eating breads, crackers, the 'good' carb filled juices. Is there something else they can ingest, food-wise, that will help grab whatever bug they have so it will pass sooner? Or should I plan on staying home this week with James?

2. Isabelle's Mom

Isabelle's Mom Approved members

Groan. We just went through the same thing. It sounds like you are giving them all the right things, and most importantly, staying away from dairy. Hang in there!

3. wilf

wilf Approved members

I think you're stuck at home till this passes..

But maybe try giving some cheese with the crackers once they are over the vomiting, it may help bind things up internally.

4. TracieandJim

TracieandJim Approved members

Stay away from dairy really? Why? Our biggest snack is glucerna/milk mix. It won't be easy to take that away. I will try though.

5. Isabelle's Mom

It can cause diarrhea, or worsen the severity of it if it's already there. Not sure why. Our primary care physician told us about it, and I've found this backed up on multiple websites (my favorite for a quick check is www.mayoclinic.com), but can't find exactly why.

I've also heard to stay away from sugary snacks, but this is not always easy to do for us since dd often gets mild to moderate ketones with a stomach bug.

6. Isabelle's Mom

Oh, and bananas are always good. Applesauce and white rice, too.