- advertisement -

Suggested TODDLER CGM SITES?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by BAKriss, Apr 4, 2014.

1. BAKriss

BAKriss New Member

My 2yr old son just rec'd his DEXCOM CGM this week. We have placed it on his flank above his back but have been finding that it doesnt stay adhered due to his activity level. The stomach isnt an option as he plays with it and pulls it out there as well. Does anyone have a different suggestion of a site that has worked for their toddler? I recently placed his Omnipod pump on the back of his arm and it is working well for us. Has anyone tried this location before?

2. Shopgirl2091

Shopgirl2091 Approved members

My son is 5, was 4 when we started the Dexcom and we use the back of the arms exclusively for Dex. We have tried stomach, bum, and thigh and arms are still best for us. Being back there he doesn't mess with it, and it doesn't really hit anything. Because my son is so active though, we also have to tape it on as soon as I insert it or it will not last long. We use the opsite flexifix tape - it works great, we get it in a huge roll from Amazon that lasts forever.

3. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Arms and booty, My littlest one is almost 6 but she is all of 38lbs, so very thin. I would also suggest the thighs but it depends on potty training, it could get snagged there if they are handling things themselves.

I have tried the flank area on my oldest and I have had little success there, but one suggestion it to have them touch their toes to stretch out that skin when sticking it to them and then standout to actually insert. That part of the body just gets so much movement!

4. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

bum so far is good for us!

5. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

We started Dex when our daughter wasn't quite 2 1/2, and she's 4 now. We have had success with the back of her arms, although they are such a fabulous site for her Omnipod that we tend to guard those spots for her pods. She doesn't have much real estate there, and I'd rather have a cgm failure than a pod failure.

Typically, we use the flank and below, and also her stomach. (I wonder if given a little time your son would stop messing with it on his stomach?)

We do experience adhesion problems occasionally, especially during summer and when we know she'll be swimming. Depending on what the week looks like we do one or both of the following: wipe SkinTac adhesive over the site before we lay the sensor down, and affix Hypafix tape over the top of the transmitter. Those two things, especially together, make a huge difference in keeping the thing well-placed for 7 to 10 days.

6. zoomom456

zoomom456 Approved members

We use the back of the arms for dexcom sites and stomach or bottom for pump sites. We tried thighs, but my son runs so much that we have never had good luck with thighs.

7. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

We use back of arms for my son too. We use a medtronic pump and do pump sites mostly on the rear end.
    Dexcoms work great for us there!

8. Dvbo79

Dvbo79 Approved members

We first tried back of the arms but they actually ended up not reading as accurate as back and tummy. I didn't think the tummy would work with my son. He is 3 and curious and fiddles with things like most toddlers, he is also very thin and there isn't much tissue anywhere to use. The tummy now is our preferred spot. He doesn't mess with it except that he likes to lift his shirt and look at it and show it to other kids etc. ;) the tummy has been extremely accurate for us. Try a few places you'll find a great spot that works best for you. :)

9. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Same goes for my son, too!